BOASTING the meanest defence in the race for the Carlsaberg West Cheshire League's Division One title, Vauxhall Motors not only deprived current leaders South Lverpool of their unbeaten record, but eroded South's lead at the top to four points after efforts from Alex Griffiths and a penalty from Luke Newcombe secured an impressive 2-0 result at Jericho Lane.

Motors themselves remain unbeaten and stayed on course for a title which has eluded them since 2003.

Reigning champions Newton had Gerard King, James Law and Jackson Ellis on the mark, but sacrificed two points after they were held 3-3 at Heswall, who had Andy Kingan, Dean Nunn and Greg Stones in reply.

A smart double from Sam Spridgeon was supplemented by further efforts from George McGrogan and Lee Guiardo as Upton AA eclipsed Refdgate Rovers 4-1, while a lone strike from Aiden Preston won the day for Richmond Raith Rovers at West Kirby.

Despite a goal from Dylan Fitzsimmons, Maghull forfeited further graound after goals from Lee Dunbar and Luke Blondel secured a 2-1 win for Neston Nomads.

Elsewhere, a goal from Matty Pearce failed to prevent Chester Nomads from losing 3-1 at home to Marshalls.

On the County scene, Ashville's hopes of a third consecutive Cheshire County FA Amateur Cup success were dashed, following Saturdays' 3-1 third round defeat at the hands of Stockport Georgians.

Jake Prescott bagged the hosts' consolation.

In Division Two, Hale retained top spot, although they were held 2-2 by nearest rivals, Vauxhall Motors Res.

Craig Williams and Stuart Cornfoot obliged for the leaders, with Tom Evans and John Humphreys on target for the Motormen.

A Laurence Harris effort was enough for Ashville Res to glean maximum spoils from their trip to Mossley Hill Ath. Res, and it was celebration time for Prescot Cables Res, Lewis Smythe, Gary Purcell and Ben Sinclair netting in the 3-0 decision over West Kirby Res.

Third-placed Cheshire Lines romped home 6-2 at Willaston, inspred by doubles from Johnny Dunne and Leon Williams.

Andy Dixon and Danny Mulville also made the score sheet, while Willaston scored via Karl Dobbs and Squeaky Clarkson.

Phil Quilliam netted for Ellesmere Port Town but it was visitors, South Liverpool Res who profited, after they won 2-1 with goals from Bobby Murphy and Dave Cringle.

Division Three leaders Litherland Remyca Res, stayed two points in credit at the top, when hat tricks from Ryan Dean and Mark Barnes anchored them to a 7-2 blitz of Burcough Dynamo.

Nearest rivals Page Celtic were indebted to efforts from Andy Holding and Matty Quinn which clinched a 2-1 result against promotion rivals, Mersey Royal, and a single from Johnny Biggs saw Marshalls Res earn the nod over Neston Nomads Res.

Four-goal Lee Davey was unstoppable, as he inspired fifth-placed Poulton Royal to a 5-2 victory over Ellesmere Port Town Res, who hit back via Joe Hayes and Aiden McAteer.

A Sam Delmonte double, allied to further goals from Adam Fazal and Andrew Ravenscroft set Redgate Rovers Res up for a 4-2 win against Wirral SB, Jack McGrotty and Callum Darby replying.

Saturday's Youth Division action saw leaders, South Liverpool Youth drop their first points of the season as a result of their 2-2 stalemate with Vauxhall Motors Youth.

Mike Kielty, Rob Lewis, Harry Taylor and Ellis Byrne were the respective marksmen.

Cameron Grant's fine hat trick was the highlight of the game, as second placed Bootle Youth overcame Maghull Town 5-2 and in another 2-2 finish, efforts from Runcorn Linnets Youth's Bailey Duffield and Mike Ratcliffe were negated by replies from Maghull Youth's Charlie Bennet and Liam Fitzgerald.

The same scoreline saw Mossley Hill Ath. Youth share the points with Litherland Remyca Youth.