A DOG has died following a house fire in Ellesmere Port.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to a house in Woodchurch Lane at around 11.10pm on Sunday, December 31 after reports of a fire in the living room of the property.

Firefighters managed to rescue one woman from the house who was then taken to hospital by paramedics suffering from smoke inhalation.

Unfortunately, firefighters could not save a dog from inside the home.

The crews, four wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets and one safety jet to extinguish the flames.

Firefighters remained at the scene for around six hours.

The fire is believed to have been accidental.