ONE person was taken to hospital following a kitchen blaze in Birkenhead.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service were called at around 12.14pm today (Monday) to a house on Warrender Drive following reports of a kitchen fire.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose reel jet to extinguish the flames before ventilating the area using a PPV fan.

Two fire engines attended the incident.

One person was checked at the scene by paramedics and taken to hospital for further checks.

A chip pan, kitchen and living room sustained fire and smoke damage.

Firefighters remained at the scene for around 90 minutes.