A WIRRAL mum has hit out at the Ministry of Justice after discovering her daughter’s killer was let out of prison without her knowledge.

Former soldier Stephen Wynne killed and dismembered mother-of-three Chantel Taylor, 27, with a meat cleaver before disposing of her remains.

He was jailed for life for her murder in 2006 but has never revealed where he buried his childhood friend.

Today, Chantel’s mum Jean Taylor has told of her anger after learning that prison bosses allowed Wynne to return to Birkenhead this month to pay respects following the death of his sister.

Mrs Taylor told the Globe it was wrong that her daughter’s killer was allowed to step foot in the town without her knowledge, after she found out about the visit from a member of the public.

She said: “They said he was going to pay his respects. For him to use that word, he will never know what respect is. I am absolutely appalled, I am disgusted – it is sick.

“He denied me and my daughter’s children the right to bury Chantel, the right to show respect to her – he doesn’t know what respect it.

“What he has left behind is a family that will never be the same ever again. He took Christmas, he took Easter, holidays and birthdays from us.

“We can never go out for something to eat at Christmas because we have got an empty chair.

“It has destroyed this family but it won’t put us on our knees - I will do everything in my power to make sure he stays behind bars.”

Mum-of-three Chantel disappeared from her home in Birkenhead on March 13, 2004 after she went to meet old school friend Wynne.

In 2006, the then 28 year old was sentenced to a minimum of 18 years in prison for murdering Chantel and for burning down a Birkenhead mosque following the 7/7 London bombings.

Although Wynne admitted the murder, he has never revealed where Chantel’s body is hidden.

Mrs Taylor, who runs campaign group Families Fighting For Justice, said she was disgusted that nobody from the prison service or Victim Liaison Service had told her about Wynne’s day-release.

She said: “My family and my daughter’s children could have come face to face to him at the cemetery – the funeral home is less than three miles away from my son’s house.

“I found out on Sunday from a member of the public. Nobody from the Victim Liaison Service or Ministry of Justice thought to tell me. How much has it cost the taxpayer for him to be allowed out?”

Wynne had applied to attend the funeral and go to the graveyard at Landican cemetery – where a granite memorial to Chantel is in place – but was refused permission.

Mrs Taylor said it was time for the Ministry of Justice to “shake things up” and rethink allowing dangerous criminals back into the community.

She said: “Myself and my family don’t get to know about it – I want answers from those who allowed this to go forward without informing myself.”

A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said: "Wynne went to the chapel of rest for a private visit.

“He was escorted by two members of staff and was in handcuffs.

"He did not attend the funeral as this request was refused."