Woman led to safety after chip pan fire in Birkenhead

Woman led to safety after chip pan fire in Birkenhead

Woman led to safety after chip pan fire in Birkenhead

First published in News
Last updated

MERSEYSIDE Fire and Rescue Service is warning of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended after a woman was rescued from her Birkenhead flat following a chip pan fire.

Fire crews from Birkenhead, Wallasey and Bromborough were called to Devonshire Place on Tuesday evening after smoke alarms activated.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the blaze and led the occupier to safety. She was checked by paramedics at the scene.

Wallasey fire station watch manager Ben Flint, who attended the incident, said: “Chip pan fires are very dangerous and give off a lot of smoke and heat, as well as having the potential to spread in an unpredictable way.

“We urge people not to leave cooking unattended, even for a short time.

"We also urge residents to have working smoke alarms on each level of their home and, in line with our general fire safety advice, we ask people not to cook any food if they are very tired.”

For free fire safety advice call 0800 7315 958 or go online to www.merseyfire.gov.uk

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree