Tranmere Rovers pick up a point in goalless draw at Prenton Park

Tranmere Rovers pick up a point in goalless draw at Prenton Park. Pictures: PAUL HEAPS.

Jake Cassidy on the ball for Tranmere V Sheffield United.

Rovers manager John McMahon. Tranmere V Sheffield United.

Action from Prenton Park of Tranmere V Sheffield United.

Jake Kirby on the ball for Tranmere V Sheffield United.

Jake Cassidy on the ball for Tranmere V Sheffield United.

First published in News
Last updated

TRANMERE Rovers picked up a point from a 0-0 draw with Sheffield United at Prenton Park this afternoon.

John McMahon's squad created the majority of the game's chances and went closest to scoring, but the woodwork denied Ryan Lowe a chance to score in the first half.

There were two changes to the team that were beaten 2-0 by Gillingham on Good Friday, with injured pair Jason Koumas and Ian Goodison replaced by Steve Jennings and Danny Holmes.

Ryan Lowe came within inches of opening the scoring on 13 minutes, lifting a shot over the Blades' goalkeeper Mark Howard from a tight angle only to see the ball cannon off the left hand post and away from goal. The striker reacted quickly to reach the rebound first but his second attempt was saved by Howard.

After injury forced Akpa Akpro to be replaced by Jake Kirby, Chris Porter headed over the bar for the visitors from an unmarked position at a corner.

Rovers continued to press and Kirby and Lowe combined on 32 minutes to create an opening for Junior Brown whose powerful strike had to be turned over the bar by Howard.

Brown headed wide at the near post after Jake Cassidy flicked a Liam Ridehalgh throw in into his path on 35 minutes, while Ridehalgh was replaced soon after due to injury, with Brown moving to left back and James Rowe coming on into left midfield.

A chipped pass from Lowe gave Max Power a chance on 75 minutes but his first time volley from outside the area hit a defender and Taylor sent a flick header past the far post from Brown's free kick seven minutes later.

Cassidy was replaced by Cole Stockton as the game went into added time but the striker was unable to create an opening in the final couple of minutes.

Rovers picked up a point and retain 19th place the League One table. They are away against Leyton Orient on Saturday, 3pm.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree