Fire safety advice for Wirral homeowners over Christmas

Wirral Globe: Fire safety advice for Wirral homeowners over Christmas Fire safety advice for Wirral homeowners over Christmas

WIRRAL residents are being given advice to help prevent accidental house fires and keep safe over the Christmas period.

Figures show an increase in the number of such incidents at this time of year, with traditions such as cooking Christmas dinner, putting up Christmas decorations and drinking alcohol posing a greater risk of fire.

Last December there were 23 accidental fires in Wirral homes. Of those, 13 started in the kitchen, two involved candles and one was caused by smoking materials.

Across Merseyside over the same period there were 117 accidental fires.

The fire service is offering safety advice as part of the National Fire Kills campaign.

As most fires start in the kitchen, people are urged to take care when cooking and not leave food cooking on the hob unattended.

Candles should be put out when leaving the room and should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.

Christmas tree lights should always be switched off when going to bed.

MF&RS Wirral district manager Paul Murphy said: "During the celebrations over Christmas people sometimes forget to think about the fire risks in the home.

"Simple steps such as not leaving food cooking on the hob unattended, not putting up decorations near candles and ensuring Christmas lights are switched off before going to bed can prevent fires.

"We want people to enjoy Christmas in a safe way this year and not have it ruined by fire.

"It is advised that people have a working smoke alarm fitted on each level of their home and that they test it every week.

"A smoke alarm can give the vital time needed to escape a property if there is a fire."

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree