Man led to safety following kitchen fire in Wirral flat

Man led to safety following kitchen fire in Wirral flat

Man led to safety following kitchen fire in Wirral flat

First published in News

FIREFIGHTERS wearing breathing apparatus led a man to safety after smoke alarms alerted neighbours to a fire in the kitchen of a flat in Birkenhead.

Crews from Birkenhead, Wallasey and Bromborough fire stations were called to an address in Duncan Street, just after 9pm on Monday.

One hose jet was used to put out the fire which involved a toaster in a flat.

Watch Manager Steve Barrowman, who is with Green Watch and based at Birkenhead Community Fire Station and attended the call-out, said: "This shows the importance of working smoke alarms which alerted people to the kitchen fire in the flat."

The electric toaster was severely damaged by fire. Part of a kitchen worktop and cupboard was also damaged by fire. There was also slight smoke damage to the kitchen and lounge of the flat. The cause of the fire was accidental.

Paramedics assessed the man after he was led to safety. He did not require hospital treatment.

Firefighters also carried out a Home Fire Safety Check while at the property.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree