A GOAL three minutes into injury-time gave Gateshead a 1-0 victory over Tranmere at the International Stadium.

A cross from the left by Richard Peniket took a touch and landed into the net at the back post to give the hosts the three points.

It had been a tight game before that with defences on top and only a few opportunities on goal.

Rovers made four changes to the starting XI which started to Peterborough United on Wednesday night.

In came Adam Buxton, new loan signing Ollie Banks, Larnell Cole and Andy Cook.

Other new loanee Josh Kay was named among the substitutes.

James Norwood had the first chance of the game on three minutes when he met a left wing free kick by Liam Ridehalgh with his head but his effort went narrowly over the crossbar.

Banks almost marked his debut with a first half goal a few minutes later when Gateshead goalkeeper Dan Hanford made a poor clearance and the midfielder lobbed a shot just over the bar.

Norwood then had a shot blocked before the hosts began to grow into the game and enjoy a bit more control of possession.

Scott Davies made a good save from a low shot from distance before Danny Johnson, Luke Hannant and Russell Penn all fired off target.

Larnell Cole had a chance three minutes before the break when he linked well with Norwood, receiving the ball back as he broke into the area but his shot was well saved by Hanford.

Shortly after the restart, the same two players linked well again with Norwood this time having a shot which was well blocked before running through to Hanford.

There were a couple of efforts wide from either side before Cole was inches away from being played in by Norwood, only Hanford coming quickly off his line picked up the ball.

Rovers made a couple of substitutions with 18 minutes remaining with Devarn Green coming on for his league debut in place of Dylan Mottley-Henry before a limping Liam Ridehalgh was withdrawn and Evan Gumbs took his place.

On 77 minutes, Ollie Norburn hit a vicious half volley from the edge of the penalty area which fizzed just wide as Rovers pressed for the decisive goal.

As the fourth official's board was raised, Green sent over a cross from the left which was superbly directed away from goal by a defender ahead of Cook at the back post.

Then a low cross by Gumbs almost found Banks before a killer blow at the other end.

Richard Peniket delivered a dangerous cross from the left, it appeared to flick off the head of Ritchie Sutton and landed in at the back post.

There was little time for a response and so The Heed held on to take the victory.

Tranmere Rovers: Davies; Buxton, McNulty, Sutton, Ridehalgh (Gumbs 73); Mottley-Henry (Green 72), Banks, Norburn, Cole; Cook, Norwood. Subs not used: Pilling, Kay, McDonagh.

Attendance: 1140 (428).

Rovers are in National League action against Macclesfield Town tomorrow night (7.45pm) and Maidstone United on Saturday (3pm).