Editor's note: This was Andy's last report before his very sad death last week.

Andy's funeral service will be held at St John’s Church, Meols, on Wednesday, February 10, at 12.15pm.

The Globe sends our sincere condolences to his family and friends.

To read tributes to the veteran Wirral journalist, click here.

SADLY the weather took its toll on the weekend rugby union programme with postponements due to frozen pitches, including the New Brighton v Anselmians derby and Birkenhead Park v Huddersfield YM.

Obviously, in some cases early decisions had to be taken to avoid unnecessary travel but at least patience was rewarded with a few local matches able to go ahead.

They included Caldy v Preston Grasshoppers at Paton Field in National Two North although possibly the home side may have preferred a later date.

They did salvage a 13-13 draw and could easily have won in a dramatic finale.

Wirral Globe:

Action from Caldy's match against Preston Grasshoppers at Paton Field on Saturday. Pictures: Geoff Davies

But most of the praise was afforded lowly Hoppers who believed key refereeing decisions went against them.

Certainly their penalty count mounted in the second period but at least there were no yellow cards which were being demanded by the home faithful.

Caldy produced probably their poorest first-half display of the season and were fortunate to only trail 0-13 as Hoppers had what seemed a perfectly good try from a cross kick disallowed.

Wirral Globe:

The home side struggled to get out of their own territory but defended stubbornly until going behind to a 20th minute penalty by Sean Taylor.

Then the impressive visiting forwards drove some twenty metres from a line-out for a 31st minute try credited to back-row man Andy Napier and goaled by Taylor.

Wirral Globe:

Gavin Roberts fired wide with a penalty kick for Caldy from their only scoring opportunity in the first forty minutes and Hoppers stretched their lead as Taylor reponded with a kick in added time.

Wirral Globe:

Caldy were more determined after the interval and sub Jack Parker was credited with a much needed touch down on 49 minutes as the home eight showed their driving ability.

Roberts added the extras and then popped over a penalty on 54 minutes to make it 10-13 and leave the outcome hanging in the balance.

Wirral Globe:

The Preston errors continued to mount but Roberts was unable to punish them with a 74th minute attempt at goal.

Caldy were thrown a life line in added time when the visitors were adjudged offside and Roberts this time made no mistake to level things out.

Amazingly tnere was still time for play to re-start and Caldy were immediately handed another penalty opportunity.

Wirral Globe:

Alas the distance proved too much for Roberts but to be fair it would have been an absolute injustice had the Lancashire outfit been beaten.

But all credit to the home side for sharing the spoils on a rare off day in conditions that did not suit them at all.

The majority of  games in the division were off and Caldy find themselves still fourth in the table and only five points adrift of a play-off place.

Preston climbed to tenth.

A ding dong top of the table clash in National Three North at Clatterbridge saw Wirral inflict only a second defeat of the season on Sheffield Tigers.

A defence-dominated affair finished 10-9 to Wirral.

Tigers still head the table with Wirral second thirteen points behind with a game in hand.

Hoylake found visiting Glossop too strong in South Lancashire/Cheshire One and could not open their account in a 0-24 reverse.

Prenton edged the derby at Oxton Parkonians in Merseyside West 16-15 at Holm Lane.

Oldershaw went down 3-7 against visiting Ruskin Park.

Port Sunlight v Wallasey was called off. 

The leading Wirral clubs all face away tasks this coming Saturday.

Caldy head for Broadstreet, Wirral to Lymm and Birkenhead Park to Sheffield Tigers.

Other fixtures include Anselmians v Douglas, Hoylake at Bowdon, New Brighton at Wigan, Prenton v Port Sunlight, Oxton Parkonians at Ruskin Park, Oldershaw at Southport and Wallasey v Ellesmere Port.