RELEGATION-THREATENED Trafford beat Vauxhall Motors 2-1 on Saturday afternoon at The VanEupen Arena.

The very windy conditions enforced some mistakes in an end-to-end contest and Danny Holmes’ Motormen were left feeling aggrieved as they had a goal controversially ruled out for a foul on last season’s promotion winning shot-stopper Sam Booth.

Vauxhall levelled the tie up with ten minutes left on the clock, through substitute Jay Harvey, after conceding a penalty in the 32nd minute.

However, they would concede in the 86th minute as Cummins netted past Jack Atkinson before celebrating with the travelling Trafford fans.

Trafford made a strong start to the tie as they were able to create some good attacking opportunities. However, centre-forward Cummins couldn’t quite reach a dangerous ball sent in from the right by Tom Beckett, in the fourth minute, before the unmarked Beckett squandered a brilliant chance to head the visitors in front, as he sent his effort wide.

The North continued to apply pressure onto The Motormen’s backline and they were awarded with a penalty as Joe Brandon brought Damola Sotona to the ground, following good play from the left hand side.

Sotona made no mistake from twelve yards out as he fired past Jack Atkinson, who had dived in the opposite direction, in the 32nd minute.

Trafford continued to attack after the break and Motors defender Toby Jones made a brilliant goal line clearance to keep the deficit narrow.

At the other end, on the hour mark, Holmes’ Motormen were left stunned as a free kick from substitute Ben Holmes fired past Booth but the referee deemed that the goalkeeper had been fouled.

The tie was eventually levelled up as substitute striker Jay Harvey made an instant impact, after replacing forward Joe Brandon in the 73rd minute, getting on the end of a ball that had been flicked on by talisman Kevin Ellison inside the box, with ten minutes left on the clock.

However, it would be the visitors that went on to win the game as Cummins sent a dagger through the hearts of Vauxhall in the 86th minute.

Vauxhall’s defeat means that, with three games left of the league season, they are six points above 19th placed Hednesford Town who have no games in hand.

The Motors are back in action next Saturday afternoon as they travel to Mossley whilst Trafford play host to Witton Albion.