VAUXHALL Motors suffered a cruel, late blow as they put in a spirited performance away at play-off hopefuls Avro, on Non League Day.

Danny Holmes made a few changes to his side, as they looked to continue their run of unbeaten form following their win against Stalybridge Celtic last Saturday and draw at Hednesford Town in the week, as both new signings Kevin Ellison and Toby Jones started on the bench and midfielder Jordan Wynne made a return to action for the first time since October 21.

The Motormen put the ball in better areas in the first half and should have led going into the break. However, claims for a penalty were dismissed before Avro came out with intent and won the game in the 95th minute, with a goal from defender James Dwyer.

Vauxhall’s keeper Jack Atkinson was called into action straight away as he came off his line quickly to smother the ball and put an end to a good Avro attack.

Then, in the 17th minute, Holmes’ men were left scratching their heads as loud shouts for a penalty were waved away by the referee. The ball seemed to have struck the hand of a defender but the man in the middle didn’t believe that it did.

The Motors continued to attack and a brilliant move that saw defender Bobby Beaumont, midfielder Jake Kirby-Reed, striker Connor Rankin and forward Jordan Deer linking up excellently, should have brought a goal. However, keeper Grant Shenton managed to flick the ball away from George Nugent who was rushing in at the back post.

Motors got close again as striker Bobbie McDonnell, who netted on Tuesday night in Staffordshire, intercepted a poor pass inside the area, just before the whistle blew for half time, yet his strike lacked real conviction as it blasted into the side netting.

The 'Ro were denied a goal, five minutes into the second half, as defender Adam Hughes stopped a Kyle Hawley effort travelling goalward with an unbelievable block.

Experienced striker Ellison came on to make his Motors debut, in the 64th minute, as he replaced McDonnell.

However, there was little action that threatened the hosts in the remaining minutes as Atkinson made a few good saves before being beaten at the death by a James Dwyer header, from a corner sent in by captain Jake Cottrell.

Vauxhall Motors are back in action on Good Friday as they play host to Kidsgrove Athletic