VAUXHALL Motors saw their run of games without a win extend to six as they were narrowly beaten 3-2 by former promotion-winning manager Mick McGraa’s Bootle.

There were some exciting changes to Danny Holmes’ starting 11 as the Motormen looked to bounce back from their defeat to Runcorn Linnets last time out with full-back, Lewis Sinnott and forward Connor Rankin slotting straight into the side.

The visitors looked to make use of their fast frontline as former Motors man, Connor Harwood, had the ball nicked off his foot by Lewis Willingham inside the box.

McGraa’s side continued to press as a good shot by top scorer Ben Hodkinson bounced in front of Jack Atkinson but he was able to see the danger out.

Aiming to balance play, Vauxhall midfielder Haydn Cooper, was involved in a number of battles with Bootle’s number seven Sonny Hilton.

Bootle remained on top and a good shot by Jack Lenehan went just wide of Atkinson’s net.

However, it was the hosts that would get closer to edging themselves in front when creative midfielder, Jordan Deer, took a clever free kick that nearly caught out keeper Tony Thompson at his near post.

Holmes’ side continued their good period by again getting close to finding that goal when a header was cleared off the line from a corner.

Another chance was created when Thompson was chased down by forward George Nugent. Nugent won the ball from the experienced shot stopper but was sent backwards by a strong defence that started a counter attack which resulted in the unmarked Hodkinson firing into the top corner from outside the box.

It was far from the start to the second half that the hosts would have hoped for as Atkinson was sent off for kicking out at a Bootle forward who had found himself through on goal.

The former Bury AFC man was replaced by defender Ben Dufton-Kelly in net and Hodkinson added to his tally from the resulting free kick.

Jake Kirby soon halved the deficit with a brilliantly placed header into Thompson’s top corner.

New signing Rankin squandered a fantastic opportunity to level the scoreline, not too long afterwards.

However, it was Bootle that would score next as Jake Burton’s head reached a deflected cross into the box. The ball looped over Dufton-Kelly who had been standing strong.

It was a spirited performance by the ten men Motors and Willingham struck inside the box with five minutes left to play.

However, his goal wasn’t enough to spark a comeback as the game finished 3-2.