FREEZING conditions resulted in a frustrating day for Wirral sports fans with most fixtures not surviving the current cold snap.

With no game for Tranmere Rovers, Ashville had hoped for a bumper crowd for the FA Vase third round clash with South Liverpool but the game was postponed after two pitch inspections.

The tie will now take place at 3pm on Saturday, December 9.

Caldy RFC's home Championship game with Bedford Blues was also postponed.

A spokesperson for the club said: "Despite the club’s best efforts and the dedicated work of the grounds keeping team, it was determined that the pitch conditions posed a potential danger to the players.

"The decision to abandon the game was not taken lightly. The club’s top priority is always the safety and well-being of the players, and after thorough consideration and player input, it was deemed that certain areas of the pitch had not thawed sufficiently to ensure a safe and fair contest.

Caldy Rugby Club acknowledges the disappointment this may cause to our loyal supporters, both locally and those who may have travelled to witness the exciting clash. The club appreciates the understanding of the fans as safety is paramount in all decisions made by the organisation.

"In light of this unfortunate circumstance, all tickets purchased for the original fixture will be automatically transferred to the rearranged game, ensuring that fans do not miss out on the thrilling action that was anticipated. The rescheduled date will be communicated promptly once confirmed.

"Caldy Rugby Club sincerely apologises for any inconvenience caused to fans, sponsors, and all stakeholders involved. The club remains committed to providing a safe and enjoyable environment for all involved in the sport."

Gareth Davies, Director of Rugby, added: “We deeply regret having to make this decision, but the safety of our players is our utmost concern. We appreciate the understanding and support of our fans, and we look forward to welcoming everyone back for the rescheduled match."

Cammell Laird 1907 FC's home game with Droylesden and Vauxhall Motors' home fixture against Avro were also both postponed.