MOSSLEY AFC breezed past nine man Vauxhall Motors at a freezing cold VanEupen Arena on Tuesday night as they cruised to a 3-0 victory.

The Motormen were looking to getting back to winning ways following Saturday's defeat at Newcastle Town but William Shepherd netted for the visitors before Jack Banister extended the lead.

Going two behind before the break made the game an uphill battle for Motors, one that was made all the more difficult by the dismissals of both Ethan Gouldbourne and Ben Holmes. 

Callum Leigh struck the third on the 71st minute mark to seal three points for the visitors. 

The collective attitude of the team was questioned by manager Danny Holmes after the game, who believed that his players were guilty of letting their heads drop too easily after trailing to Mossley’s opening strike. 

Striker Craig Curran came into the starting XI for Lewis Buckley, who was sent off during last weekend’s defeat in Staffordshire. 

However, since red cards come into effect a week on from the game in which a player is dismissed under Northern Premier League rules, Buckley was able to replace former Tranmere star Curran for the last 20 minutes of the game as the latter struggled to make an impact. 

The visitors went close early on as Jack Grundy wheeled past defender Adam Hughes, only to be thwarted by keeper Ally Hughes, whose reaction save prevented the effort from creeping over the line. 

Mossley found their opening goal in the 21st minute as Shepherd met a cross from Banister at the back post. It was a perfectly placed header from the full-back, nodding into the far corner leaving no chance for Hughes. 

Banister went from creator to goal scorer two minutes later, taking aim and striking powerfully past the Motors keeper from outside the box. 

With tensions rising and tempers boiling over as the Motormen looked to halve the deficit before the break, midfielder Holmes was dismissed for a heavy challenge. 

His early bath not only left his teammates with a mountain to climb, but made proceedings trickier for his cousin, Motors manager Danny, in the dugout. 

Mossley’s number ten Eden Bailey almost made it three immediately after Holmes saw red. The striker found himself in acres of space inside the box but his tame effort was fired straight at Hughes. 

Holmes’ half-time team-talk clearly had the desired effect as Vauxhall came out in the second half with greater attacking intent. 

Creative midfielder Jordan Deer carved his way through the Mossley midfield with a mazy run before being fouled in a dangerous area. 

Will Dunne took the set-piece, sending a vicious strike towards the top corner that drew an acrobatic save from Mossley goalkeeper Chris Thompson. 

However, Vauxhall’s early second-half momentum soon dissipated, and the ten-men found themselves even further behind after 71 minutes. 

Following a corner, the ball dropped for Leigh, whose jaw-dropping strike beat Hughes for Mossley’s third of the night. 

Motors’ difficult evening then went from bad to worse just two minutes later, as defender Gouldbourne was dismissed to reduce the hosts to nine men. 

Trailing Mossley’s Eden Bailey as the last defender, Gouldbourne hauled the attacker to the ground to prevent a clear goal scoring opportunity. 

The full-back turned centre-half had no complaints as he received his marching orders from the referee.  

The game was long over as a contest by the time the final whistle eventually blew, ending a forgettable night for Motors. 

Attentions immediately turn to Saturday afternoon, when Vauxhall will look to bounce back against high-flying Avro.