CORNISH Pirates capitalised on Caldy's mistakes to win a pulsating Championship match 49-22 on Saturday. 

The South West club were out of the blocks quickly with two tries in the opening six minutes, the first coming from Hugh Bokenham. Matt McNabb's interception just moments later put the pirates 14-0 up and it looked like the afternoon could be as long as the previous evening's journey. 

The resilient Ravers bounced back almost immediately and after a number of penalties and with the ball in hand Sam Rogers converted the three points. 

Pirates were quick to respond and a quick drive to the corner saw the referee award a penalty try to the surprise of the handful of travelling supporters. 

By the midway point of the first half the home supporters were delighted to have secured the try bonus point through a score from Ben Gubb as the number eight slotted away the fourth of the afternoon.  However, they were soon nervous when jj Dickinson and Chris Pilgrim combined to allow Matt Gallagher the space to score Caldy's first of the afternoon. 

The hooker was in again to score before the break to make the score 28-15. 

Into the second half, Pirates no doubt fearing a Caldy comeback, came out firing again scoring two tries in the opening ten minutes of the half and Caldy had no response this time. 

At the midway point of the half a nasty looking injury to Callum Atkinson stopped the game for a sustained period of time, thankfully news came later that although suffering concussion he was able to travel back to Wirral with the rest of the team on Sunday afternoon. 

The game went a bit stale after the Atkinson injury but Scottish under 20 International Will Robinson scored a third for Caldy in the final play of the game. 

Due to the demise of Jersey, Caldy have another free week next week. The next match at Paton Field is on December 2 against Bedford Blues. 

The Caldy second team will take their four and a half year unbeaten record to Macclesfield on Saturday. Last week’s 83-7 home win against Rossendale was their 80th consecutive victory  in League and Cup, a run that stretches back to April 2019.