LECICESTER Tigers scored half a century of points in what seemed a convincing victory over Caldy in the Premiership Rugby Cup but the former Premiership and European Champions didn’t have it all their own way against the Wirral side who are starting their 100th season of competive rugby.

Leicester caught Caldy cold right from the kick off and a slip from Rhys Hayes allowed Collins Hassell into score after two minutes and with an excellent conversion from Jamie Shilcock it looked like it could be a long afternoon in the Welford Road heat for the Paton Field outfit.

However Caldy showed that they were a match for their more illustrious opposition, restricting the home side to a big long kicking game and some heavy tackles as Caldy were able to win a number if penalties in the final third and the defence repelled anything the Tigers could throw at them.

Caldy made one of the penalties count on 25 minutes when summer signing Sam Rogers slotted home from 10 metres out.

Rogers slotted away another penalty just three minutes later to bring the Ravers within a point and those who had made the trip were wondering if Leicester could hold the lead until half time.

The Tigers had other ideas and shaken by the Caldy comeback the home side took advantage of Nyle Davidson being sent to the sin bin to extend their lead through a try from Tom Whiteley.

With an outside temperature of 30 degrees, Caldy didn’t go to the dressing room at half time and instead opting to stay on the pitch.

After the break Leicester came out wanting to show their fans they have a lot to look forward to in the coming season but Caldy stood firm and were able to keep the Tigers out for the opening minutes of the half.

But Caldy could do nothing on 45 minutes when the ball went wide to Emeka Llione to score in the corner with the top tier team looking to head into top gear.

Tigers extended their lead just a minute later when Francois Van Wyk slid in to gain the hosts the bonus point.

Caldy pushed hard for a try going into the final quarter of the game but were undone by a Charlie Atkinson try just before the drinks break.

As Caldy tired in the final quater hour Phil Cokanasiga got his name on the score board with the eighth try of the afternoon.

Leicester scored a ninth try of the afternoon with five minutes remaining on the clock

At the final whistle you could tell both teams had been in a battle. Supporters from both sides agreed with the effort Caldy showed they deserved more out of the game.

Caldy will now face Ampthill next Saturday in their first home game of the season