THIS game was under threat because of heavy rain overnight.

It was only due to the early morning attentions of Head Groundsman, Taffy Jones, that the pitch was made playable. So, the 250 spectators who braved the bitter weather to watch an exciting game have him to thank.

Bolton made life difficult for us on their home turf at the start of the season and, so, we expected stern resistance for the home return.

Wirral Globe:

Hooker Dan Salisbury controls the drive. Picture: Derek Salisbury Snr

Bolton got off to a strong start putting pressure on the Saints’ defence and striking first with a penalty goal in front of the home posts after five minutes during which the play was all theirs.

But Saints weathered this early pressure and started to demonstrate the difference in league status between the two teams.

After just nine minutes, Ewan Nolan (this week the versatile youngster was playing on the wing) broke free to gallop 40 yards to score his first of two magnificent tries of the afternoon.

Wirral Globe:

Ewan Nolan slides in. Picture: Derek Salisbury Snr

Dai Morley converted. Five minutes later, right winger, James Whitehouse outstripped the Bolton defence with pure pace, rounding under the posts for Morley to add two more easy points.

In the physio room before the game, Nolan and Whitehouse had been advised that they shared the top of the try-scoring table with 15 each.

It now seemed that they were vying to outdo each other. Now balanced at 16 each, Nolan scored another long range try breaking tackles on the half-way line and tiptoeing just inside the touchline to cross for his second. The extras were added by Dai Morley.

The score was now 21-3 after just 17 minutes.

Bolton were not for giving up and kept challenging forcefully even though they were rather overwhelmed by Saints pace and power.

Saints kept up this early pressure and, coming into the line in broken play, classy full-back, Andy Cummings jinked and dummied his way over the line for his first of a brace of tries, one in each half. Again, Dai Morley converted, this time from long range.

Wirral Globe:

Andy Cummings scores. Picture: Derek Salisbury Snr

If Ewan Nolan had staked his claim to the top of the try-scoring list earlier, Jimmy Whitehouse had other ideas, and streaked through, and in and out of, half a dozen despairing tackles to score the pick of the day’s tries and balance the contest at 17 tries each for the season so far.

This situation will be interesting to observe at it develops over the remaining games this season.

Wirral Globe:

James Whitehouse on the way to his second try. Picture: Derek Salisbury Snr

Half-time: 35 - 3

The second period started much as the first with Bolton bravely carrying the game to their hosts.

But they were soon overwhelmed with Cummings trying after five minutes followed in quick succession by exciting crossings for Tommy Banks and Fred Clark.

Only one of these was converted against a high wind.

Further tries came from lock, Niall Cavanagh, emerging from a powerful maul over the line, and then, after 70 minutes, Adam Bramhall who finished off a skilful backs attack, with the conversion added by Cummings.

Full time: 64 - 3

A special mention to Bolton’s injured player who was stretchered off to hospital with a badly injured leg. We hope he is well and recovers quickly.

Next week, we travel to Rochdale whose game against Winnington Park, yesterday, was postponed, and who now have 3 games in hand.

Other than their reverse at Eastham, 43-21, in October, Rochdale have won every game and will be a real test for our exciting Saints squad.

This will be the best contest of the North 2West league season.

One to watch – come along to support the Saints!