The Birkenhead Sunday League Premier Division was blown wide open at the weekend, with up to eight clubs having a chance of winning the beautiful blue ribbon trophy.

Current holders and pre season favourites Dock AFC found themselves 4-0 down after 42 minutes to Rivacre FC - Jay Harvey, Joe Foster (penalty), Jake Hully and Joe Brandon all finding the net - but a strike from Kieran Hamm right on half time gave Dock some hope for a better second half.

Dock did rally after the break, with a second effort from Hamm. Then it was the turn of Adam Bagley to get the third followed by a superb goal from Cameron McGregor to bring the scores level at 4-4.

But with five minutes remaining Mike Burkey cut in from the right and curled one into bottom corner of the net for Rivacre to take the honours.

Both teams finished the game with 10 men on the park. It was an early Christmas present for Rivacre FC who have moved up to fourth in the Premier Division are now two points behind second-placed Dock AFC and also have a game in hand.

Division One side Upton Town took the lead at home in The Tony Houlihan Memorial Challenge Cup 2nd round tie through Scott Billington, but Division Two outfit Victoria Colts hit back through a brilliant volley from Gaz Dickenson and a Billy Harrison effort, to claim a place in Round three with a 2-1 win.

There was another giant killing act in the third round, with Bushell Grange Athletic taking the honours 3-1 at FC Bidston.

On the mark for Bushell’s were Leigh Carpenter, Dean Fleming and Liam Atherton. Thomas Murray replied for FC Bidston.

Beechwood FC (Tom Quinn, Leo Riley, Jack McGrotty, Mitch Duggan) saw off Neston Nomads (Thomas Murray) in an all Premier Division clash.

Back in Division One, The Lukes maintained pole position and went six points clear after a comfortable 4-0 success over AFC Shaftes, thanks to Jack Maybury, Ellis Jones, Ben Kearney and Will Bullpin.

Wirral Radio FC registered only their second maximum points haul over Neston United 4-1.

Rockpoint are still the only team in the league with a 100% league record, after easing their way to a 7-1 success at Ridgewood Park against Barcode FC and lead Division Two.

Finding the net for Rockpoint were Stuart Hardman with a hat-trick, supplemented by further strikes from Liam Whelan, Jason Rigby, Jami Payne and Anthony Gardner.

Their nearest rivals Wellington continued an unbeaten league run after accounting for Prenton FC 2-0 with Lewis Gouldson notching a fine double.

After a much-needed break to take stock of the playing personnel, Eagle Stirrup FC got a welcome win under their belt 5-1 at Silva Athletic.

Saughall FC (Owen Kelsey 2, David Ollerhead, Andy Noonan) posted a 4-1 win after defeating Glenavon Athletic 4-1.

A solitary goal from Oscar Sargent for AFC Park North was enough to stay at the top in Division Three at North Wirral Saints.

Barkers Armchair FC continued their current fine run with a fourth straight league win 3-2 over West Kirby United (Robbie Nairn, OG) and are aiming for a promotion place.

Parkgate St Germain recorded their first win of the season 4-2 against long time league stalwarts AFC Rangers. Finding their names on the scoresheet were Seth Geary with a brace and singles from Sean Wilding and Sam Brown.

Sean Hellon, Adam Lamb and James Swindle helped Old Parks FC to wrap up the points in a 3-1 over Wallasey Village FC.