As PREDICTED, this was a difficult encounter for the league leaders against a team which had been unbeaten at home so far this season and will also be competing strongly for promotion.

Saints started brightly enough, on the attack, winning an easy penalty on 30 yards in front of Leigh’s posts for Dai Morley to convert to get the score board ticking.

But it was from a tap penalty that Leigh got the ball wide to outstrip Saints' defence for their first try in the right-hand corner which was converted from long range.

Saints were soon back in contention when Morley dummied his way under the posts from a set play. He added the extras himself.

Just a few minutes later, Ewan Nolan stormed over from only the second phase from a line-out 15 yards out. Morley Converted and now, on thirty minutes, the score was 7-17 and Saints seemed to be getting their opponents under control.

But Leigh are made of sterner stuff and were immediately able to work a gap on the right-hand side, to add a converted try to their score.

Another Leigh penalty levelled the game at 17-17. Again Leigh attacked down the right wing to take the lead with another converted try.

The deadlock was broken on the half-time whistle when Saints’ winger, Jimmy Whitehouse, cantered over in the corner after a well-worked over-lap by the attacking midfielders. Saints were, perhaps, a little fortunate to go into the break just 24-22 in arrears.

Another penalty infringement by Saints gifted Leigh another three points just four minutes into the second period.

Anselmians’ now started to play through the forwards and when the ball did go wider it was quickly driven back in by James Otutaha and Tommy Banks to give the pack targets to drive forward.

It took 15 or more minutes for the tactic to wear down Leigh’s defences, but superior fitness and relentless pressure eventually secured a push-over try by Grabe and another by Cavanagh, both converted by Morley.

With the score now 27-36 in Saints’ favour after 66 minutes, Saints continued to dominate the scrummages and mauls and it was from such a maul 10 yards out that John Bonner emerged to sprint to the line for Saints 6th try, converted by Morley, putting the game out of Leigh’s reach after 71 minutes.

Leigh struck back in injury time but Saints took the win.

This was another good away win for Saints' travelling supporters. It is somewhat encouraging, though, that there can be so much more to come from this squad, this season.