Holders, Ellesmere Port Town, secured their place in the Wirral FA Senior Cup 2nd round, but the West Cheshire League Division One outfit had to rely on penalties to go through against Division Three counterparts, Poulton Royal.

Ninety minutes had produced a 2-2 stalemate, but The Port won 4-1 on spot kicks.

In contrast, last term's finalists, Heswall, found the going easier after they won 5-0 against Mallaby, with goals from Matty Morris, Matty Beaman, Ben Dufton-Kelly, Andy Cook and Jordan Deer.

Heswall lay seige on the Mallaby goal again. Photo: Bob Shaw

Heswall lay seige on the Mallaby goal again. Photo: Bob Shaw

And it was celebration time also for strongly fancied Division One leaders, Mersey Royal, who despatched Sutton Ath. Joe Foster (3), Liam Driscoll (2) and Liam Siddorn netting in Saturday's 6-1 victory.

In a keenly contested South Wirral tie, goals from Capenhurst Villa's Ryan Nicoll, Kev Fields and Jamie Easton were cancelled out by replies from Neston Nomads' Cam Meadows, Joe O'Donnell and Ollie Dutton, before Cape progressed 5-3 on pens.

Spot kicks were also the order of the day as Vauxhall Motors Res. beat Poulton Vics 4-2 on penalties following a 2-2 finish.

And another giant killing was avoided ,when Ashville were given a fright by Division Three minnows, Groves. The game finished 2-2 before the Wallasey side went through 4-1 on spot kicks.

Ashville's second string had no such worries, and courtesy of efforts from Louis Braegar, Jamie Woods, Ben Beattie and Noah Riding, progressed to the Wirral FA Amateur Cup 2nd round after they eclipsed Ellesmere Port Town Res. 4-0.

Also through are Willaston, with Jake Quarmby (3), Sean Hayward (2), Robbie Hicks and James Gillenship finding the net in a 7-0 triumph over West Kirby Res.

Saturday's Division One action saw title challengers, Mossley Hill Ath. - despite a goal from Paul Pearson - forfeit ground after they capitulated 3-1 to goals from Rainhill Town's, Chris Sheehan, Joe Croxford and Demetrius Rhami.

Jack Delgado scored for Chester Nomads, but it was visitors Maghull who profited, with Lewis King and Adam Edwards replying in a 2-1 success.

Elsewhere, ninety minutes failed to produce a goal between Newton and Prescot Cables Res.

Unbeaten Marine U23s assumed pole position in Division Two, following a 4-2 result over previous leaders, Runcorn Sports. Harrison Worden was a three goal hero, while Cheshire Lines's Mark Barnes went one better, with four goals in his side's 7-1 decision over West Kirby.

Second placed Litherland Remyca Res., with Lennon Whewell (2)and John Graham on the mark, won 3-1 against South Liverpool Res. and Lee Turkington also struck twice, as Helsby triumphed 4-1 at Rainford Utd.

With maximum spoils from their first six outings, Bootle Res. regained top spot in the race for the Division Three title, after efforts from Cam Grant (2), Baf Djabi, Joey Henry and Jamie Barnes anchored their side to a 5-3 decision over Capenhurst Villa Res., who had Matty Hickman, John Britton and and Jake Stewart in reply.

Doubles from Connor Rosato and Karl Brown were enough for Mersey Harps to post a 4-2 result over Aintree Villa Res. who responded through Joel Jackson and Joe Jarvis.

Saturday's Youth Division action saw leaders, Vauxhall Motors, with goals from Kyle Foster (2) and Call Hill, edge a 3-2 verdict over Mossley Hill, who scored through Asher Duncan and Matty Lawler.

A hat-trick from Nathan Leitch and a Robert Martin effort helped Runcorn Linnets Yellow to a 4-1 victory over neighbours, Runcorn Sports. Joe Last netted for Sports.

The points were divided after goals from BRNESC's Shea Housley and Luis Davies were negated by replies from second placed South Liverpool's Lewis Walsh and Tom Evans.