Having drawn at Lymm earlier in the season, this was a must win game for Wirral if they were to stay out of the relegation battle, given they are one place above the drop zone.

Playing against the wind in the first half, the hosts conceded ground instead of making it with clearance kicks, but were penalised twice in the opening eight minutes with two converted penalties from Lymm’s Cormac Nolan, putting Wirral 0-6 down.

Gradually Wirral came more into the game, territorially aided by the penalty count strongly in their favour. Despite putting pressure on the Lymm line, with a series of scrums and penalties, Wirral were finally on the score sheet when a cross field kick from Craig Harvey was fielded by Sam Broadbent who scored easily. James Annetts then made the difficult conversion into the wind. In the 35th minute, further pressure by Wirral enabled the home side to extend the lead to 14-6 when clean passing enabled Chris Crowley to cut through the depleted Lymm side to score under the posts - Annetts again converting.

In the second half Wirral continued exerting pressure and from close to the Lymm line, Tom Parry crossed to increase the lead to 21-6.

Thereafter, Wirral were looking for their fourth try and a bonus point, but this was not to be as a series of penalties including a sin bin for Ryan Stead gave Lymm the incentive to play a more attacking game.

Wirral lost the ball in their own half and good passage of play by Lymm saw Gavin Woods score, although the conversion was missed.

Three minutes later, Lymm took advantage of Wirral being down to 14, exerting forward pressure on the defensive line and were rewarded with Campbell Thompson touching down for a converted try.

Both teams were therefore looking for the next score which could decide the game but it was Wirral who managed to hold out , kicking the ball into touch to end the game.

Wirral stay fourth from the bottom and have not eased their position with Alnwick surprisingly winning at home against Blaydon, who are their opponents next week.