LEADERSHIP of the West Cheshire League's Division One changed hands again at the weekend when Ellesmere Port Town seized the moment and went a point clear after they eclipsed Marshalls 5-1, inspired by a Ryan Nicol double.

Luke Bradley, James Davies and Owen Kelsey were also on target with Owen Hough in reply for the hosts.

Nearest rivals South Liverpool were indebted to a solitary strike from Cam Dalton which settled a close affair with Rainhill Town, while Paul Pearson, Joe Hornby and Callum Smith bagged the goals as third placed Mossley Hill Athletic won 3-0 at Capenhurst Villa.

Steve Williams obliged for Maghull, but it was Redgate Rovers who profited 3-1, courtesy of goals from Robbie McDonald (2) and Jordan Dillworth.

Wallasey outfit Ashville climbed to ninth place, after efforts from Mike Reynolds and Jamie McColl anchored Tom Kelly's side to a 2-0 result at Neston Nomads.

Ashville's second string made it a good day for the club, after they emerged 3-2 victors from an entertaining division Two tussle with South Sefton Borough, Nathan Abraham netting a stunning 72nd minute winner.

Prescot Cables Reserves assumed pole position, despite dropping two points following a 1-1 stalemate with Rainhill Town Res.

In Division Three, Bootle Res eroded the lead at the top to just two points, after five goal Ellis Mooney ran riot in Saturday's 9-0 blitz of Neston Nomads Res.

Cam Grant (2), Lewis Armitage and Josh Ilesanmi were the other marksmen.

Saturday's youth division action saw Victoria Colts U17s net via Adam Larway, Adam Gunnery and Jack Bridger but visitors Newton U18s took the honours, replies from Arthur Cooper (2), Kieran Frost, Riley Jones, Chris Hynes and Matty Webster securing a 6-3 victory.

Second-placed Vauxhall Motors U18s closed the gap on leaders Lower Breck to three points, after they beat Litherland Remyca U18s 3-2 thanks to goals from Harrison Hindley (2) and Dylan Jeffrey.

A Cam Taylor double was the visitors' contribution.

Division two side Heswall pulled off a fine win in the Cheshire County FA second round, Joe Ford scoring both goals in the 2-0 triumph over Malpas.

Chester side Upton AA also progressed after they romped home 5-1 against Jolly Butcher, with goals from Nathan Mapletoft (2), Lee Guiardo, Will Kent and Joe Ormerod.

Well done also to Vauxhall Motors Res, who eliminated Old Altrinchamians 3-1.

Louis Gorman (2), and Dean Nunn were Motors' marksmen.

On the minus side, it was curtains for West Kirby, Mersey Royal, Newton, Poulton Royal and Willaston who perished at the hands of Knutsford, Stockport Georgians, Holmes Chapel Hurricanes, Cheadle Town Res. and Govan Ath respectively.

Of the four Liverpool-based West Cheshire clubs competing in the LCFA Junior Cup second round Marine Res were the only side who came unstuck after losing 3-0 to Knowsley South.

Mark Madden was a three-goal star for Bootle St Edmunds who overcame Vulcan 8-0 and Danny Bulayima followed suit witth three for South Liverpool Res who savoured a 7-1 result over St Helens Town Res.

Connor Rankin (2), Mike Cummins and Naim El-Harrati found the net as Maghull Res went through after beating Garswood Utd Res 4-2.