Birkenhead Park 37, Douglas 20

DOUGLAS made their first ever league visit to the Upper Park and the Manxmen made Park work hard before the home side pulled clear in the closing stages to avenge the defeat earlier in the season in the Isle of Man.

Kick off was put back until 4pm, as the islanders flight in was delayed and the atmosphere had built up by this time with a healthy crowd in attendance at the Upper Park.

Park had a great start as flanker Alwyn Watkin-Williams, who has joined from Waterloo, touched down for a debut try after just two minutes.

Douglas responded with their own attacks and centre Harry Hewson broke through with Bryn Snellgrove's conversion putting Douglas ahead.

Park began to pressurise the visitors, but good defence kept them at bay before Dave Hall kicked a penalty after missing an earlier effort to edge Birkenhead back into the lead.

A long range penalty from Snellgrove put Douglas back ahead but then scrum-half Sam Chidley went in under the posts after good work by Adam Wellington, Hall converted.

Snellgrove kicked a second penalty just before the interval to cut the home advantage to just two points.

Park began to build a lead in the second half with a Hall penalty and then a strong run from flanker Sean Mooney set up a good attacking position from which centre Lucas Titherington scored with Hall adding the extras.

Skipper Jack Ashcroft was dominant in the line out as he repeatedly won the Douglas throws but the Manxmen showed their resilience as a try from stand off Aidan O'Shea put them right back in contention going into the final-quarter.

Park raised the tempo and winger Hem Johal burst through for the bonus point try again converted by Hall.

The icing on the cake came with Hall cutting through for the final try after great play by the Titherington brothers.

For Park, Sam Chidley was yet again excellent with Jack Ashcroft taking the Man of the Match award for a great all round display.

Dave Hall also enjoyed a fine match with a seventeen point haul.

Park now move over Douglas into third place in the North 1 West table.

The Club was extremely saddened when news of the death shortly before kick off of club stalwart Ivor Parry came through.

Ivor was the club's greatest supporter rarely missing a home or away game over the last 20 years.

His association with the club goes back to the 1950’s and he will be sorely missed by everyone at the Upper Park.

This Saturday Park make the short journey to Wirral for the re-arranged Cheshire Vase semi final.