Caldy 15, Cambridge 13

CALDY beat Cambridge after a great second-half comeback against one of their relegation rivals and secured their first win in two months.

It was the visitors who started the brighter, attacking the Caldy line in the opening minutes but finding the defence resolute and hard to break down.

When Caldy ventured forward it looked like they had more confidence than over the past few games and took the lead through a Ben Jones penalty in the seventh minute.

The game then became very tight with both sides being defensive until Jones was sent to the sin bin in the 19th minute for a deliberate knock on which brought the game to life with Cambridge scoring the opening try through Jack Higgins and Ben Penfold adding the extras thanks to a wind assisted conversion.

The game then became a battle in the midfield with both sides creating good chances with the best falling to the visitors who got into good try scoring positions only to be let down by the final pass.

Moments before the half time whistle Caldy were undone by a good flowing move that was finished off by Asiedu to the delight of the travelling fans as they went in eight points up at the break.

Caldy came out of the blocks in the second half scoring after just three minutes of the restart after the returning James Otuthua broke from the scrum and opened up the Cambridge defence before passing to Nick Royle who scored in the corner.

With their confidence up Caldy kept pressuring and were rewarded ten minutes later after another well worked scrum resulted in a try under the posts from Rhys Hayes.

As Caldy continued to dominate it seemed that Cambridge’s confidence had faded, and the home side looked like scoring every time they went forward, and the visitors struggled to get out of their half of the field.

There was celebration and relief at the final whistle and Caldy will now look to take the positives from the game including the return of James Othutha after injury and a promising debut from Ciaran Booth, the 18 year old on loan from Sale Sharks, when they travel to London to face Blackheath.