THE untimely arrival of the rain on Friday night once again made an impression on the amount of games played in the CWFL this weekend.

Christleton Celtic needed an extra-time winner from Matty Jones to be in the hat for the quarter-final draw of the CWFL Roodee Web Designs Tom Gerraghty Memorial Trophy.

They entertained Malpas Re- serves and with the game tied 3-3 at full-time it was Jones’ goal that separated the two sides.

Jay Gilmartin, Charlie Jones and Ed Behan were the other Celtic scor - ers with Chris Ingall, Luke Woolam and Thomas Milburn replying for the plucky Malpas side.

Elton Athletic have gone one better and secured a semi-final appearance in the CWFL Cayzer Shield.

They were drawn away to the cur - rent holders Upton JFC, coming away 3-2 victors thanks to goals from Jake Harrison two and Dean Disley.

Tom Berry and Danny Evans hit the Upton goals.

In the Northern Cup, Matty Gilmore hit a consolation for Cestrian Alex as they lost 4-1 at home to Cuddington.

In the league, Ellesmere Port Re- serves extended their lead at the top of the CWFL Link Up Division Two to six points after a hard fought 2-1 away win at Orange Athletic who had Tom Wilkinson on target.

In the division's other game, Crossway moved into fourth place after their 2-2 draw with Rossmore Rangers.

In the CWFL Tarvin Precision Vets Division Two, Higher Bebington Kelma Vets beat Dee Rangers Vets 4-2 with goals by John Moulton (2), Dave O’Neill and Simon Tierney.

Mike Pond, Mike Jones, Ant Killilea, Sean O'Rourke and Vince Cra- ven were the marksmen for Tarvin Vets in the 5-2 win over Upton JFC Vets, Dave Rockall and Phil Cordell.

In the CWFL Tarvin Precision Vets Division Three, Antony Ashton and Daryl Freeman hit a brace each for Capenhurst Villa Vets in the clash with Hartford Vets.

Villa ended the game as 4-2 winners, despite being 2-0 down at the break.

Upton JFC had a 2-0 lead by midway through the first half, however Elton Athletic FC scored two goals in two minutes to draw level shortly before half-time.

Elton Athletic FC scored early in the second half to lead 3-2. They cleared two goal-bound efforts off the line and held on to win 3-2.