Tranmere Rovers 1 .... Bromley 0

TRANMERE moved up to second position in the National League with a nervy, odd-goal victory over Bromley at Prenton Park.

Connor Jennings grabbed the only goal of the match in the first half and that’s how it stayed meaning Rovers faced league-leaders Macclesfield breathing down their necks.

Rovers made a bright start with a long ball reaching James Norwood behind the Ravens' defence, but Josh Rees recovered to divert his shot wide for a corner.

On the quarter of an hour mark Connor Jennings shrugged off his marker before curling a 25-yard effort just wide of the post.

A clever flick from Norwood found striker partner Andy Cook but his return pass was over hit as Rovers stepped up the intensity.

The two combined again in the 23rd minute when this time Cook did find Norwood, but the latter's right foot shot was weak and straight at David Gregory.

Having totally missed an effort on goal from a short corner, Bromley's Louis Dennis finally tested Scott Davies moments later but the keeper was able to gather the ball.

A quick free kick from Jay Harris got Norwood in again but Gregory did just enough to put him off before the Raven's stopper held another effort from Josh Ginnelly.

A mistake on the edge of his own box by Jay Harris gifted Tyrone Sterling a chance just past the half hour mark, but Davies, sparing Harris' blushes, tipped his curling effort around the post.

Nine minutes before the break Tranmere's constant question-ask-ing of the visitors' defence paid off.

A searching ball over the top from Buxton reached Gregory before Jennings, but the Raven's 'keeper let the ball slip through his legs and the Rovers midfielder had the simplest of tasks to roll the ball into an empty net.

The hosts kept up the pressure ensuring the Bromley defence had an uncomfortable afternoon.

Another shot from Norwood was blocked for a corner as pressure continued to mount.

Harris volleyed one over the bar just before the break but Mellon would have been reasonably satisfied with his side's display in the opening 45 minutes.

A rare misjudgment by Steve McNulty allowed Brendon Hanlon to get the wrong side of the experienced defender but the Bromley striker's shot was straight at Davies.

Hestistancy in the Rovers defence almost presented an opening for the Ravens but Buxton was alert to the danger and hacked it clear.

A superb through ball from Jennings put Norburn in on goal but – in the stretch – he poked the ball just wide of the post.

As the Kop chanted: "Super White Army", relentlessly, Cook saw an- other effort blocked, with Rovers pushing hard for a second goal.

Norwood was presented with a good opportunity shortly past the hour mark but blazed over with his weaker foot, wasting the chance.

Dennis had a real chance to equalise for Bromley in the 68th minute but Buxton showed courage and strength to thwart him before he could pulled the trigger.

With 20 minutes to play, Mellon withdrew the ineffective Ginnelly and introduced rapid winger Ben Tollitt.

With only a slender lead, the visitors remained in the contest. Giant striker Brandon Hanlon went close but was snuffed out by the Rovers rearguard.

Tranmere's attempts to kill the game continued as Norburn tested Gregory from long range when there were better options around him.

Tollitt danced his way into the box but ran into a brick wall with Norwood screaming for a pull back.

A counter-attack ended when Jennings held the ball for too long allowing the ball to eventually be wrestled away from Cook.

With just four minutes to go, Davies had to get down low to his right to deny a fierce effort from George Porter as Bromley almost drew the tie level.

Deep into injury time, substitute Jeff Hughes fed Norwood again, but from an acute angle he hit the side netting.

He was nearly punished for that when, at the death, Davies had to deny Dennis again before Josh Rees blazed over.

Nevertheless Rovers hung on for the ninth straight home victory knowing that victory over Macclesfield would take them to within a point of the summit.

Rovers' boss Micky Mellon said: "Whatever the game asks you, you've got to keep answering the question and to a man the players did that today.

"We'll not always get the game of our dreams.

"The fans were brilliant today because they understand that sometimes the game just goes that way.

"But there’s something really nice about seeing your team battling and scrapping and fighting away, getting a clean sheet and winning 1-0.

"I thought the pitch didn’t play well today which we were very dis- appointed about.

"But we dug in and you can see the togetherness of the group. The fans made a massive contribution.

"I hope they now get what a big impact they can have on us."