AFC Fylde 5, Tranmere Rovers 2

TRANMERE'S New Year’s Day party fell flat, as they were punched drunk by AFC Fylde at freezing cold Mill Farm.

Goals from Danny Rowe, Jack Muldoon and Zaine Francis-Angol gave the Coasters a 3-0 lead at half-time before Jordan Tunnicliffe added a fourth early in the second half.

Ollie Banks pulled one back for Rovers but in wet and cold conditions they left themselves too much to do and as Serhat Tasdemir grabbed a late fifth, Rovers had to take defeat on the chin.

Connor Jennings struck a late consolation from the penalty spot.

Micky Mellon made one change to the side that battered Guiseley on Saturday at Prenton Park, with the experienced fullback Liam Ridehalgh returning at the expense of youngster Eddie Clarke.

Having sold out their official allocation of 1350 away tickets, the Super White Army created a carnival atmosphere pre-match – packing out the terrace behind the goal and two blocks of the main stand.

Some early pressure from the hosts saw Scott Davies spill a low cross from the left wing, but Ritchie Sutton was on hand to mop up the danger.

A ball over the top from Ollie Banks found James Norwood in the penalty area, but his weak shot was held by Jay Lynch.

A sliced clearance in the Rovers defence presented a great chance to Andy Bond but Davies saved well at close quarters.

Wirral Globe:

Tranmere Rovers' support were in full voice despite their side's defeat at Mill Farm. Picture by Tony Coombes

The early pressure yielded a result for Fylde in the 21st minute, when a whipped free kick from the left was only repelled by Davies, allowing Rowe to prod home from close range.

A long range shot from Connor Jennings was blocked by Jordan Tunnicliffe as Rovers responded.

But seven minutes later the Coasters doubled their lead when Banks lost possession in the middle of the park and Muldoon was allowed to drive forward completely unchallenged before blasting a 20-yarder past Davies that beat him at his near post.

Rovers were all at sea and seven minutes before the break Fylde added a third.

Slack defending allowed Jonny Smith to dance down the right wing and his cross was spilled by Davies, allowing Francis-Angol to tap in on the line.

Having played some fault in all three of Fydle's goals, 'keeper Davies was withdrawn from the match a couple of minutes before half time, replaced by Luke Pilling.

As Davies trudged off the pitch he looked far from his usual self. It later emerged that he had suffered a ruptured groin.

A low drive from Adam Buxton forced a corner out of Jay Lynch just before the interval, but rattled Rovers left the field to noises of discontent as they contemplated a first-half horror show.

Having been devoid of width for 45 minutes, Mellon rolled the dice and brought on Clarke for Larnell Cole.

A blocked Ritchie Sutton clearance presented a goal scoring opportunity to Smith, but Pilling passed his first test with a strong save at his front post.

Rampant Fylde seemingly killed off hopes of a comeback in the 55th minute however when Tunnicliffe looped a header over Pilling into the net from Smith's free kick.

But just minutes later Rovers finally got on the score sheet when Banks cut inside on the edge of the box and curled a superb effort past Lynch into the bottom corner.

Tranmere rallied and Adam Buxton had the ball in the net, only to be ruled offside by the referee's assistant.

Andy Cook then beat the offside trap but with only the 'keeper to beat he tried a lob that Lynch got a hand on – typical of Rovers' day.

Ollie Norburn picked up a booking for clashing with Taylor, before the Rovers midfielder was replaced by Jay Harris with quarter of an hour to go.

Norwood tried his luck with a curling 20-yard effort but it sailed just over the bar.

In time added on, a mistake by Pilling gifted substitute Tasdemir a fifth before Jennings converted a spot kick at the death for hapless Rovers.

Defeat ended their five game winning streak and with league leaders Macclesfield winning again, they now have an 11-point deficit point deficit to recover.

This is one game they will want to forget in a hurry.

Match stats

AFC Fylde 5: Rowe 21, Muldoon 28, Francis-Angol 36, Tunnicliffe 55, Tasdemir 90

Tranmere Rovers 2 Banks 58, Jennings 90 (pen)

Half-time: 3-0

Referee: David Richardson 6/10

Attendance: 3,065

Match rating: 4/5

Star man: Jonny Smith (Fylde midfielder)

AFC Fylde: (3-5-2): Lynch, Montrose, Francis-Angol, Tunnicliffe, Bond, Rowe (Blinkhorn 90), Muldoon (Taylor 63), Grand, Richards, Smith (Tasdemir 77), Edmundson

Subs not used: Ezewele, Burke

Tranmere: (4-4-2): Davies (Pilling 44), Buxton, McNulty, Sutton, Ridehlagh, Cole, Banks, Norburn (Harris 75), Jennings, Cook (Clarke 46), Norwood

Subs not used: Hughes, McDonagh