TWO brothers involved in a fight in New Ferry during which part of a man's ear was bitten off have together been put behind bars.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that 22-year-old Jack Morrow bit into his victim’s ear following a 'fair fight' at the Wirral Hotel in New Ferry, while his brother Thomas Morrow admitted punching the man after he was already seriously injured.

Thomas Morrow, 25, was also sentenced for a catalogue of crime including theft, conspiracy to pass counterfeit currency and allowing premises to be used for drug production.

Michael Scholes, prosecuting, said that the fight happened in September last year after the victim Carl Walklett objected to racist language being used by a group drinking in the same pub.

“He was not affected because of his race but took offence because of the way the language was being used.

“There was a fight between himself and Jack Morrow and the consequences for Mr Walklett  were very significant.

“It was clear to all present that whatever seemed to have started off this there came a stage when Mr Walklett was not in a position to have a fair fight for any longer.

“Whilst he was in a position where he could not effectively defend himself he was kicked and  punched, and most significantly had his ear bitten by Jack Morrow.”

Despite the ear injury and suffering a broken jaw he then swung at Thomas Morrow who responded by punching him.

Sentencing the brothers on Tuesday Judge Stephen Clarke said: "One witness said they didn’t break it up because it was a fair fight  between them which probably speaks volumes about that particular public house."

He jailed Jack Morrow, of New Ferry Road, Wirral, for three and a half years after he admitted  grievous bodily harm.

He said that he had bit at the victim's ear "with some ferocity. Part of the ear was removed  as a consequence of which he will have to have reconstructive surgery on his ear."

At the time of the incident Thomas Morrow was on bail for passing fake £20 notes between a group of Everton fans who bought them for half face value.

He was their contact with the supplier and passed on £600 of forgeries in one go, with around £1,000 to £1,500 of fake £20 notes believed to have got into circulation.

The court heard that he also fled from police in a Transit van, doing 50mph in narrow residential streets, was caught stealing £50 of scrap metal, and when his flat was searched was found it to contain 86g of cocaine of varying strength being mixed for street sale.

Thomas Morrow, of Thorburn Road, New Ferry, who admitted assault, dangerous driving, conspiracy to pass counterfeit currency, driving without a licence and insurance, theft and possession of cocaine was jailed for three and a half years.

Judge Clarke told him: "Until 2011 you were a complete and utter stranger to the courts. It’s hard  to figure out why you went off the rails as much as you did last year. The fact that you acquired a significant drug habit may explain it."

Three other men pleaded guilty to a counterfeiting conspiracy after admitting being 'customers' who either bought or tried to use forged notes.

They were Aaron Smith, 24, of St Michael's Park, Bebington, received three months imprisonment suspended for a year; Christopher Humphreys, 25, of Merlin Road, Birkenhead was sentenced to six months imprisonment suspended for two years and 100 hours unpaid work, and Tom McCarron, 22, of Gorsefield Road, Birkenhead, who received three months jail suspended for 12 months with 80 hours unpaid work.