CHILD serial killer Lucy Letby said “I’m innocent” as she was led from court after being sentenced to an additional whole-life order for the attempted murder of a baby girl.

Earlier this week, the 34-year-old former nurse was found guilty at Manchester Crown Court of the attack on the newborn infant during a night shift in the Countess of Chester Hospital’s neonatal unit in February 2016.

Last August, she was convicted at the same court by another jury of the murders of seven babies and the attempted murders of six others, with two attempts on one child.

She is already serving 14 whole-life orders for each of those offences committed on the unit between June 2015 and June 2016.

On Friday, Mr Justice Goss imposed a 15th whole-life order on Letby and repeated to her that she will spend the rest of her life in prison.

He then told dock officers to take her down and, as she was led away, she turned round and said: “I’m innocent.”

A retrial was ordered on a single allegation concerning the baby girl, known as Child K, after the first jury was unable to reach a verdict but a second jury took just three-and-a-half hours to convict Letby.

Letby, of Hereford, targeted the “very premature” baby after she was moved from the delivery room to the unit’s intensive care unit in the early hours of February 17.

About 90 minutes after the little girl’s birth, Letby dislodged the breathing tube through which she was being ventilated with air and oxygen.

Consultant paediatrician Dr Ravi Jayaram caught her “virtually red-handed” as he entered Nursery 1 at about 3.45am and he then went on to intervene and resuscitate Child K.

Dr Jayaram told jurors he saw “no evidence” that she had done anything to help the deteriorating baby as he walked in and saw her standing next to the infant’s incubator.

He said he heard no call for help from Letby or alarms sounding as Child K’s blood oxygen levels dropped.

From the witness box, Letby told the jury of six women and six men that she had no recollection of the event described by Dr Jayaram and did not accept it had taken place.

She denied she did anything harmful to Child K and added that she had not committed any of the offences she had been convicted of.

Letby also denied the prosecution’s claims that she interfered with the infant’s breathing tube on two more occasions during the same shift to create the impression it was accidentally displaced.

Child K was transferred to a specialist hospital later on February 17 because of her extreme prematurity and died there three days later.

More than two years later, late on a Friday night in April 2018, Letby searched on Facebook for Child K’s surname.

The Crown said it was part of a pattern of similar Facebook searches which showed her “fascination” with the babies she had murdered and attempted to murder, and with their families.

Letby was initially charged with the murder of Child K but the charge was dropped in June 2022 as the prosecution offered no evidence.

In May, Letby lost her Court of Appeal bid to challenge her convictions from last year.

A court order prohibits reporting of the identities of the surviving and dead children involved in the case.