A man was taken to hospital and nearby properties were evacuated after an explosion at a house on Wirral.

Emergency services were called to an incident on Glebe Hey Road in Woodchurch at around 4pm on Monday afternoon (April 1). Three fire engines were in attendance.

On arrival, crews found a two-storey property with the ground floor involved in fire.

Residents from adjoining properties were evacuated and later allowed back into their homes.

Wirral Globe: The explosion happened at a property on Glebe Hey Road in Woodchurch The explosion happened at a property on Glebe Hey Road in Woodchurch (Image: Craig Manning / Newsquest)The incident was sectorised and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus began fighting the fire externally using two hose reel jets.

Police cars, fire engines and ambulances were present, as well as several Cadent Gas vans.

According to neighbours there was a "loud bang", and some reported "windows rattling".

Merseyside Police said a man received treatment at the scene for minor injuries and was taken to hospital for further assessment.

Police have cordoned the property off.

Wirral Globe: At 5.05pm, everyone in the house was accounted for and one occupant was conveyed to hospital by North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) to be checked for slight smoke inhalation.

Breathing apparatus continued to be used while crews removed roof tiles to check for fire spread. Once tiles were removed, two firefighters used one hose reel jet to dampen down and hotspot the area.

Police officers and staff from Cadent are on scene as an investigation into what happened continues. 

A spokesperson for Cadent Gas said: "Our engineers are on site assisting the emergency services as is routine in incidents like this. It is too early to speculate on what may have caused the incident.

"We would like to remind everyone that if they ever suspect a gas leak then they should call the Gas Emergency Service number on 0800 111 999. The number operates 24/7 and is free to call."