WELCOME to Haunted Wirral, a feature series written by world-famous psychic researcher, Tom Slemen for the Globe.

In this latest tale, a close encounter ...

I'VE had to change a few names for reasons of confidentiality in this strange story.

In June 1967, a 66-year-old Birkenhead man named Peter Moore retired from an electronics factory.

Wife Audrey bought him a huge garden shed, as Peter was fond of gardening and Audrey had visions of him pottering about in the shed potting plants and no doubt fixing the lawnmower or oiling the shears, but instead, Peter brought bundles of his Practical Electronics magazines from his loft, along with boxes of electronic components, soldering irons, power supply units, oscilloscopes and all sorts of paraphernalia, and set up a workshop in the shed.

Peter also erected a huge aerial on the roof of the shed and hooked it up to his home-made short-wave radio transceiver. He was soon having conversations with other long-distance radio enthusiasts across the globe and this new hobby took up quite a bit of Peter's time.

Audrey suggested that Peter might be able to find a position with the rapidly growing Power Communications and Automation Group based in Neston, but Peter said he was too old and his doctor had advised him to keep his blood pressure down by indulging in an easygoing hobby.

After the short-wave radio fad, Peter Moore turned to an offbeat interest of his - flying saucers - or UFOs to give them their more scientifically acceptable title.

He had been cutting and pasting newspaper clippings about local UFO sightings in an album, reading books on the subject of the mysterious aerial visitors and had even taken out a subscription of Flying Saucer Review.

Peter read a number of reports of UFOs that had been seen diving into the waters off the Wirral Coast as well as one report of a disc-shaped craft that had been seen surfacing and taking off in Liverpool Bay. He knew that both Soviet and NATO nuclear submarines used Very Low Frequency (VLF) to communicate by radio, as VLF waves are able to easily penetrate through miles of water.

Peter therefore built a VLF radio receiver and started to pick up some very strange transmissions in the form of electronic signals and also weird voices that were not speaking in any language he had heard.

He taped them and played them to a linguist at a college who said he could not identify the language; was it the language of UFO occupants, transmitting from some undersea base?

It was a huge leap of reasoning, but Peter refined his circuits and built two VLF aerials so he could triangulate and discover the source of the signals. 

He determined that the weird VLF transmissions were coming from somewhere in Liverpool Bay, six miles North West of Hoylake.

When Peter told Audrey about the "alien voices" she told her husband he was overworking and that there were no such things as flying saucers, but Peter decided to form his own UFO investigation bureau. He also bought a Volkswagen Camper Van which he fitted with his own design of aerial on the roof so he could monitor the enigmatic signals on the move.

Peter was visited by an amicable Australian radio ham from Sydney he’d befriended on the airwaves named Bill Granger (a light aircraft pilot), and Peter enlisted him into the UFO Seekers group.

The other two members were a young post office clerk named Mike (an amateur astronomer) and Joe, a member of the Territorial Army.

Throughout the summer of 1967 the four members of the group roamed Wirral in the Volkswagen Camper Van, looking for UFOs, with Peter and Bill taking turns to drive, Mike scanning the skies with high-powered 30x70 binoculars, and Joe checking on the electronic readouts from meters and listening out for any unusual signals on a pair of headphones plugged into the VLF radio Peter had built.

The group soon discovered the "window areas" of Wirral - the areas where there were an unusually high concentration of UFO sightings.

These areas were West Kirby, Thurstaston Common, the countryside around Barnston, Capenhurst and Raby.

In the dead of night the camper van chased a globe of amber light down the leafy lanes of Heswall, and on another occasion the van was followed through Saughall Massie by a huge black disc which hovered at treetop level and seemed to interfere with the vehicle’s engine.

An incredible incident happened that year which surpassed the expectations of the UFO Seekers.

Peter picked up what appeared to be a coded message on the UHF band, and partially cracked it after many hours trying different decipherment techniques.

The message seemed military-like in its abbreviations, and it kept repeating a date over and over - the 22nd of June at 1500 hours, and the longitude and latitude and altitude coordinates told Peter that whatever the incident was, it was going to happen over Brotherton Park, Bromborough.

On the specified date at 2:45pm, the four UFO Seekers were travelling down Bromborough’s Allport Lane when they heard a roar in the skies. A jet fighter flew from left to right over the spire of St Barnabas Church.

"That's a Hawker Hunter," opined Joe, the TA man, and Mike the post office clerk, scanned the skies with the binoculars.

Two more jet fighters crossed the sky and people on Allport Lane looked to the heavens. Four gigantic classic "Flying Saucer" shaped craft then flew overhead, and more disc-shaped craft followed them.

Traffic came to a standstill and Mike, gazing at the colossal UFOs through the binoculars kept saying "Wow!"

Within seconds the enormous invaders above had gone - vanished into thin air.

The Hawker Hunters circled for a few minutes then left.

Not long after this, Peter Moore was visited by Ministry of Defence officials who strongly warned him to keep his nose out of a "hot potato" which solely concerned the military.

Only now is the Pentagon and the MOD admitting that UFOs are real – and might pose a threat to us.

Pray that these things are friendly ...

All Tom Slemen’s books and audiobooks are on Amazon.