FRIENDS of an inspirational Wirral nurse recovering from a brain aneurysm that left her in a coma are taking part in a walk to raise funds for ongoing treatment.

Charlotte Warhust's life changed overnight in September 2019 when she suffered her second aneurysm - a bulge in a blood vessel caused by a weakness in the vessel's wall.

Delays caused by the pandemic have put her recovery on hold.

A nurse on the frontline before this happened, Charlotte, from Prenton now spends everyday doing physiotherapy at home with fiancé Joel in the hope she is able walk again.

Wirral Globe:

Charlotte and Joel

A group of friends will walk 15 miles to raise funds for her recovery on March 28 and have set up a Gofundme page to help boost support.

The money raised will help pay for rehabilitation - which includes extra physio and extra equipment to make her home more suitable during recovery.

Among friends taking part in the walk is Sam Woolley. She told the Globe: "Charl has been through a lot and is determined to get through this. She is an inspirational friend.

"As well as raising funds to help, we also want to raise awareness about brain aneurysms on Charl's behalf."

Charlotte is no stranger to hospital visits. Back in 2012, aged 21, she suffered her first brain aneurysm.

After being rushed to hospital, a CT scan showed that an aneurysm had burst causing a bleed on her brain.

An emergency operation to coil the bleed saved her life, but she was met by the news that she had another aneurysm and that it could burst at any time.

Nevertheless, described by friends as "a glass half full type of girl", she never complained and continued to live her life the the fullest.

In 2019, age 29, Charlotte decided it was time to coil her next aneurysm.

Unfortunately during the operation the aneurysm had burst and had led to a catastrophic bleed on the brain.

She was put into a life-saving coma for five weeks and woke up paralysed down her left hand side.

A message on the Gofundme page read: "Charl has had a huge battle on her hands. She had been in hospital for seven months, during which she was provided daily physio, a psychologist and an occupational therapist before the pandemic started.

"As if life couldn't get any more challenging, it was decided that as Charl was a high risk patient, it would be safer for her back home.

"As a result, the inpatient care package was stopped and she was left in a home not suitable for her needs.

"Faced with more adversity Charl once again, showed her fight and resilience and took matters into her own hands.

"Everyday she completed her own physio sessions and continued to make small progress."

Prior to her aneurysm Charlotte was a senior nurse serving her local residents in need.

She continued to develop her skills and had recently passed her clinical examination course.

"Unfortunately Charl is now unable to work and so it is now time we give back to somebody who desperately deserves it.

"Charl's fight is far from over and is currently waiting on a further operation to make her skull whole again.

"Her aim is to be able to walk again and to live an independent life."

To support the walk, go to