PORTALOOS near a popular Wirral seafront were blown over by the wind, leaving disgusting 'spillages' along the promenade.

The temporary toilets were installed in Hoylake last weekend as Wirral Council said it was not possible to open regular public toilets in the town.

The authority said it has now dealt with the problem, but locals slammed Wirral Council with many adamant they saw this issue coming.

Commenting on the Facebook group Hoylake Village Life (HVL), one person who did not wish to be named, said: "Absolute crazy! I said that would happen when I saw them.

"They should just open the public toilets and have them cleaned."

Using the same forum, Kierran Davies said: "That was always going to happen.

"It was the first thing I said when I saw them. Not the brightest idea from Wirral Borough Council."

The solution found by the council in the end was one which should have been adopted in the first place, according to one member of the Facebook group, who wished to remain anonymous.

They said: "Just watching the portaloos being rescued and positioned up against the wall backing onto the bowling green, where they should have been in the first place."

Resorting to puns to express their opinion, another member said: "Loodicrous place to put them!

"A child could have predicted this would happen!"

Wirral Council explained the unfortunate episode, noting that it has invested large sums of money in trying to open public toilets.

A spokesperson for the authority, said: "The council has invested around £25,000 to ensure some existing public toilet blocks can be opened up in a limited manner and where this is not possible or safe to do so, such as in West Kirby and Hoylake, temporary 'portaloos' have been installed.

"We are aware that some of the portaloos in Hoylake were blown over by strong winds in the early hours of this morning after being installed over the weekend.

"Council staff have been out on site alongside contractors to clean up and move the cubicles to a location less exposed to the wind.

"Now they're back in place and secure, they are being cleaned thoroughly and will open to the public again very soon."