A top Merseyside restaurant recently blighted by a disastrous food hygiene report, has been given the second best possible hygiene rating after a fresh inspection.

Burnt Truffle, in Heswall, got a four star hygiene rating from Wirral Council’s environmental health inspectors.

Wednesday's inspection came just over two months after the restaurant got a one star rating, the second worst rating possible.

A sink covered in congealed soap, a mouldy freezer and contamination risks were responsible for Burnt Truffle’s poor rating in November’s report, but Gary Usher’s restaurant seems to have overcome these problems.

After full details of the initial food hygiene report were published, Mr Usher said the coverage of the hygiene report has hurt his business.

But after the improved hygiene rating, he was hopeful he could draw a line under the issue and the restaurant can thrive again.

On Wednesday night, he tweeted: “At 11am this morning while I was sat in Burnt Truffle, the local [environmental health inspector] walked in for my requested unannounced re-inspection.

“We have now moved up to a four. I hope this will give you the confidence in us. We will work closely with them now to get to a five.”

He ended with a confession: “This has been the lowest point of my career to date and I’d like to move on now if you’ll allow me.

“Thank you all for your undivided support. I can’t tell you how much it has meant to me.”