TWO armed Wirral teenagers – one of them with a machete – have admitted a terrifying attack on their victims in a Neston park.

One of the two 16-year-old boys wounded his male teenage victim with the machete, leaving a small cut in the neck.

The other 16-year-old boy hit a 17-year-old girl over the head with what was described as either a baseball bat or a broken hockey stick.

Both defendants – neither can be named due to legal reasons – pleaded guilty to a combined total of seven offences, which happened at the Stanney Fields Park in Neston on the evenings of June 7 and 8.

At Chester Crown Court on Monday, November 25, Honorary Recorder of Chester Judge Steven Everett told both offenders if they had been adults, he would not have hesitated in sending them to prison for at least two years.

But as they were youths, and in light of their references and "impressive" probation reports, he held back from immediate custody and instead handed both of them a youth rehabilitation order to feature 91 days of an extended activity requirement.

Both were also subjected to curfews, a restraining order preventing them from contacting their victims, and must not enter Neston until further order.

Prosecuting, Jayne Morris said there had been "an ongoing feud" between the two 16-year-olds and another teenage boy in Neston.

On the evening of June 7, one of the two defendants was seen with a machete at Stanney Fields Park.

The following evening, the same defendant returned to the park with his co-defendant.

He was again armed with the machete, which he pulled out and threatened his teenage victim: "I am going to chop your head off", holding the blade to his victim's throat.

As the victim pushed the attacker away, the machete left a small cut on the side of the victim's throat, and in the ensuing incident was struck above the left ear, leaving a cut that bled a lot.

The victim's 17-year-old girlfriend tried to intervene but was hit over the head with the other 16-year-old's weapon, which she said was a baseball bat.

A third victim – a 13-year-old girl – was also pushed away by the armed 16-year-old.

The 16-year-old attackers then ran off.

The machete victim was taken to Arrowe Park A&E and received stitches for two wounds.

All three victims gave statements saying they had endured loss of sleep since the attack and were fearful and anxious about being out alone in public.

The machete victim feared the cut would leave a noticeable scar in years to come.

Both defendants were arrested on June 9.

A short video was played in court of the machete attacker shown wielding the weapon in a way which Judge Everett later remarked was "utterly horrifying".

Defending that 16-year-old, Gareth Roberts said the defendant was a teenage cadet who was ashamed at what he had done.

He was aware of the "very real prospect of custody" that would ruin his ambitions of joining the Army.

He had had difficult circumstances when growing up but since the attack had settled in with his father.

Judge Everett remarked: "It's really strange; he really wants to go into the military and when given that discipline he thrives in it, but there is a Jekyll and Hyde aspect of that character."

Mr Roberts added the 16-year-old was employed and had impressed his employers so much they had given him various degrees of responsibility.

Defending the other 16-year-old, Owen Edwards said: "Immaturity is at the heart of this."

He had played a lesser role in the attack and was being supported by his family.

He was looking to become a trained mechanic and had taken steps to achieve this.

Sentencing, Judge Everett told the pair: "There had been some problems between you and other male. The rights and wrongs don't add up.

"There is no suggestion he had been badly behaved but even if it was, it's wrong – you don't go looking for trouble.

"If you had that right, we might as well all go home and close this court. There would simply be anarchy.

"The end result could have been much worse; holding that machete to his neck...if that slipped, you would have faced a much more serious charge of murder and both your lives would have been ruined."

As well as the youth rehabilitation order and the restraining order, both defendants were handed a curfew.

For the attacker with the machete, he was handed a six-month curfew of 7pm-7am, with hours of 10pm-7am for nights when he had cadet training.

For the other defendant, he was handed a four-month 7pm-6am curfew.

Judge Everett concluded: "I am giving you a chance as I don't think either of you are a lost cause. Had you been 18 I would not have hesitated in sending you through the door at the back [to prison].

"I want you to look back at this moment in five, 10, 20 years and say 'thank God I didn't get sent down', because it would have been the end of your career in the armed forces and as a motor mechanic."