AN 87-year-old man has died after a fire broke out at sheltered accommodation in Tranmere.

Emergency services were called at around 2.50pm to a sheltered accommodation complex in Grenville Way on Wednesday, September 11 following reports of a fire.

On arrival firefighters discovered the body of a man in a flat on the second floor.

Crews worked to make sure that the safety of the remaining elderly residents were safe.

No-one else was injured during the incident.

It is believed that the fire was accidental but may have been caused by a discarded cigarette.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service group manager Mark Thomas told the Globe: "On arrival, our crews made an immediate entry into the property.

"They quickly made their way to the second floor of the property where we had been informed the fire had started.

"It is here that they located the occupant of the flat. He was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased at this difficult time.

"Firefighters and staff from MFRS will be visiting the surrounding area over the coming days to offer advice and reassurance to local residents following the incident.

"This will focus on the importance of having a working smoke alarm and the dangers that can arise from smoking in the home.”

The fire service are now urging residents to take simple steps to prevent cigarette fires at home.

  • Never smoke in bed. Take care when you’re tired – it’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and it could easily set furniture alight.
  • Never smoke when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape.
  • Put it Out, Right Out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.
  • Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended – they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
  • Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn. Never use a wastepaper basket to dispose of a cigarette butt.
  • Keep matches out of children’s reach.
  • Never leave e-cigarettes on charge unattended for long periods of time.
  • Do not mix components of different e-cigarettes.
  • Only use the charger supplied with your device.
  • Ensure you purchase your e-cigarette and charger from a reputable source and check the e-cigarette carries CE certification.
  • Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.

If you are over 65 and would like to receive a free Home Fire Safety Check, call 0800 731 5958.