Hilbre Island remains closed to the public today over fears part of a cave overhang could collapse following a blaze last night.

A tweet published by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service today said: "Exclusion zone remains around island area involved- barriers are being placed to prevent access as risk of cave overhang collapse.

READ>Plastic foam used to strenghten Hilbre cave

"Pls do not approach the island for your safety. The RNLI, Police & Coastguard are in attendance."

Wirral Globe:

The scene at Hilbre last night

Work recently had been carried out to strengthen a cave which had shown signs of "movement."

But piles of waste and expanding foam were found scattered around the island as council-contracted workers carried out the controversial project to support to the cliff face.

Today the chairman of the Friends of Hibre Island group, Allen Burton, told the Globe: "We are shocked and horrified.

"I was appalled when they started filling in the cave with foam, I thought how could they be doing such a thing?

"Hilbre is a site of special scientific interest and a recognised nature reserve.

"They should have consulted much more closely before going ahead.

"We were surprised there was no consultation with Natural England nor the Enviroment Agency - and certainly we were never consulted.

"I do not suppose anyone could have envisioned the disaster that it has now turned in to.

"I am extremely frustrated and angry, and the Friends feel very let down by our local council represntatives."

A town hall spokesman last week said the work was "essential" with the first phase to infill a cave with the foam "as it will strengthen part of the cliff face where movement has been noted."

A statement by Wirral Coastguard Team said this morning: "The fire has been reassessed and unfortunately the decision has been made that Hilbre Island will remain closed to the public today due to the ongoing risk.

"The incident will be re-assessed again tomorrow morning and an update will be posted on our social media.

"The cause of the fire remains unknown and will be investigated by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service."

Emergency services were on the island at around 7.30pm last night.

According to a Merseyside fire service tweet the blaze is believed to have involved building materials in the cave.

As the night progressed people were told to evacuate the island because of a change in wind direction.