A MAN was subjected to a terrifying violent ordeal in his own home by two intruders - during which they threatened to pull his teeth out with pliers and they stole his dog.

Jamie Rigg had burst into his neighbour’s flat along with a 17-year-old friend while the occupant was asleep and assaulted and robbed him of his television, cash card, pet dog Frankie and two mobile phones.

Their victim was left so traumatised that he has had to move home but still feels unsafe and continues to suffer emotionally.

24-year-old Rigg, of Demesne Street, Seacombe, pleaded guilty to robbery and has been jailed for four and a half years.

His accomplice, who was living in Wallasey and cannot be named for legal reasons, denied the offence but was convicted after a trial and was sentenced to 18 months detention.

The court heard that they have both spent six months in custody on remand.

Gerald Baxter, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court that the victim was awoken at 6 am on June 9 this year when his dog began barking and his front door was kicked in.

He recognised Rigg, who lived in the flat opposite, and his companion walked in and punched him to the side of his head and said, ‘f….ing sit down’.

Rigg demanded to know where his money was and the victim was punched in the ribs.

Rigg began thrashing the flat still demanding money and the youth punched the victim above his eye causing it to bleed.

Rigg claimed the victim had been mistreating his dog, which he denied.

He found his post office card and demanded the pin number, which the frightened man gave him. He went out and came back with steel capped boots on and warned the victim hat he had “his steelies on,”.

Before leaving with the dog and other items Rigg threw a mug at the window breaking it, said Mr Baxter.

The victim fled but was pursued by his two attackers and had to jump over fences to try to get away. Passers-by came to his aid and the two men, who were both drunk, were arrested.

All the stolen items except one phone was later recovered.

Sentencing the defendants the judge, Recorder Kate Cornell said that during the incident Rigg gave his companion a pair of piers and said, ‘take his teeth out’ and the other a said, ‘smile.’

“One can only imagine how terrifying it must have been to have two strong men bearing down on you threatening to rip out your teeth. The whole incident from waking from sleep facing two of you, angry, violent and drunk would have been petrifying. He described himself as scared to death,” she said.

The judge added that they had both taken part in “menacing” their victim and “using violence in a most appalling and frightening way.”

Recorder Cornell said that fortunately witnesses came to the victim’s aid while being chased by the defendants. “It is clear you only had malicious intent to do him harm.”

The court heard that Rigg only has one previous conviction for fare evasion but the youth has committed various previous offences including violence.

Their lawyers told how both had been disinhibited by alcohol and the teenager has ADHD.