A 53-year-old Wirral man is currently serving a three-year prison sentence after breaching the terms of his injunction 11 times.

Wirral Council's Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) Team took action against Paul Taylor following complaints from members of the public and local businesses in Birkenhead town centre due to his anti-social behaviour by harassing, being intimidating and aggressively asking for money.

After an investigation by Wirral ASB Team and unsuccessful attempts to bring Mr Taylor’s behaviour to an acceptable level, an application for an injunction was made.

Wirral Council cabinet member for Law and Order Cllr Paul Stuart said: “We’re pleased with the investigative work of our ASB team in Wirral on this complex case concerning a repeat offender.

"The prosecution of Mr Taylor sends a clear message that we will continue to deliver a robust response in tackling anti-social behaviour across the borough.”

At a hearing held at Birkenhead County Court on August 30, 2017, an injunction was made for a period of two years.

On July 13, 2018 Mr Taylor’s injunction was amended to include further conditions on his order to reflect his continued anti-social behaviour.

Under the terms of the injunction, Mr Taylor is prevented from using or threatening violence towards any person or behaving in a manner which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to any person (including but not limited to, begging or selling items in a manner which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm, or distress to any person).

The injunction also prevents him from entering several areas in Birkenhead including a defined part of Grange Road West, the Shell petrol station located on Borough Road, being within the land at and surrounding the Co-Operative store in Church Road.

Since that date reports were received that Mr Taylor had breached the injunction on numerous occasions.

Mr Taylor appeared before Wirral Magistrates Court on September 12, 2018 and received five months in custody after admitting that he had breached his injunction on 11 occasions.

One of the breaches included a serious offence of robbery which Mr Taylor has since appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on October 4, 2018 and sentenced to three years imprisonment.