A WIRRAL teenager told her friends she loved them moments before tragically taking her own life as she battled depression.

Fifteen-year-old Jade Emily Kosanlavit, from Port Sunlight, died on November 10, last year after throwing herself in front of a train at the station just minutes from her family home.

The Wirral Grammar School for Girls' student, described by her teachers as a "talented and hardworking pupil", had been receiving treatment for depression for two months following a previous suicide attempt in September.

An inquest into her death, held today at the Gerard Majella Courthouse in Liverpool, heard that Jade had been standing on the Liverpool-bound platform of Port Sunlight station shortly before 10.30am on Monday, November 10.

British Transport Police officers described how Jade was seen running towards the oncoming Chester circular train.

The driver had applied the emergency breaks but it took 40 yards for the three-carriage train - which had been travelling at 18mph - to stop, too late for it to stop short of Jade.

The teenager suffered multiple injuries, including spinal fractures, which were "incompatible with life".

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Liverpool Coroner Andre Rebello told the court Jade would not have known what had happened and would have been knocked unconscious almost immediately.

Jade's mother, Wanpen, arrived at the station a short time later having heard the tragic news and confirmed it was her daughter.

A mobile phone and handwritten note were found in Jade's pocket.

Details of the note's contents were not read out in court as to preserve Jade's privacy but British Transport Police said they expressed her wish to die.

A text message sent to her friend at 10.12am said: "I'm sorry it has to end this way, I love you".

The court heard that Jade had been prescribed fluoxetine - a form of antidepressants - following an earlier incident on September 30.

Concerns were raised by Jade's family about the medication, which has been linked to suicides in the past,

Jade's uncle, Chris Proudman, cited research which he said showed that fluoxetine had an increased risk of 64% of a "suicide outcome".

He said: “I think the whole family just find it difficult to understand that medication with this increased risk of suicide as an outcome is still being given in spite of this sort of evidence suggesting that children or adolescents can be pushed over the brink.”

But Mr Rebello said he was satisfied medication was prescribed in accordance with what us expected in child and adolescent psychiatry across England

He added: “I can’t say that without medication, this wouldn’t have happened. What I can say is that it happened in spite of the medication.”

Mr Rebello said notes and drawings by Jade were "poignant" and difficult reading.

He said the investigation goes far broader than what would be appropriate to share in court, adding that Jade's wishes for privacy should be respected.

"What happened to Jade is very difficult to get your head around - this very young life ending in this way," said Mr Rebello.

"Jade suffered from a mental health depressive illness which had manifestations of intentional self harm. She had been prescribed fluoxetine and supportive therapy.

"On November 10 at around 10.30am at Port Sunlight railway station, Jade put herself into the path of the 10.01am Chester loop train with instantly fatal consequences.

"I am satisfied that Jade intentionally took her own life while suffering from a depressive illness."

Mr Rebello said it was important that Jade be remembered for who she was and not to let her tragic death "overshadow the beauty of her life".

He added: “She was a normal young lady who had normal thoughts. Unfortunately overriding that there was this depressive illness with the most tragic of consequences.

“The illness was something Jade lived with – it wasn’t Jade. She must be celebrated and her life must be remembered.”

Following the inquest, John Johnson - Jade's mum's partner - said: "I absolutely adored her, I loved her so much and was so proud of her.

"I brought her up like she was my daughter, I just hope she rests in peace now."

Following Jade's death, teachers and friends from Wirral Grammar School for Girls paid tribute to her.

Headteacher Elaine Cogan said: "It is with great regret and sadness that we learned of Jade’s death, she was a talented and hardworking pupil at the school.

"Jade was an articulate and gifted Year 11 pupil, popular with both pupils’ and staff alike. Jade had a strong friendship group at school and received strong and unwavering support at home.

"She had a great love of music and will be particularly remembered as a gifted musician.

"Jade was an accomplished player of three instruments, took an active role in school recitals and music evenings, and recently toured Austria to perform with music department.

"There is a strong sense of loss across the whole school."