TRANMERE Rovers suffered their first defeat of the new season after Sutton United's Craig Dundas scored the winning goal for the visitors at Prenton Park.

The game got off to a lively start with both teams showing attacking intent and there were chances at both ends with Ollie Norburn for Rovers and Tommy Wright for the visitor going close within the first two minutes.

Five minutes in, Andy Cook put Sutton's defence under extreme pressure, won the ball on the byline and laid it back to Jay Harris whose shot was blocked on the line before the visitors cleared their lines.

Just after the half-hour mark, the away side broke the deadlock when a bouncing ball was intercepted on the halfway line before a ball forward down the centre of the pitch caught the Rovers defence out and Dundas smashed the ball home past Scott Davies to give Sutton the lead.

Cook had a shot which went across the face of the six yard box before the half time whistle with Rovers going in a goal behind.

James Alabi replaced Jack Dunn after the interval with Micky Mellon looking to put more pressure on the visiting defence.

On 53 minutes, Rovers came within a lick of paint from levelling the score when Liam Ridehalgh sent over a left wing cross which found Cook in the middle but his powerful header hit the underside of the crossbar and was scrambled away from danger.

Rovers continued to press forward in the search for an equaliser with crosses coming in from both sides but Cook and Alabi were up against the strong resistance in Jamie Collins and Dean Beckwith.

Andy Mangan replaced Jay Harris on 73 minutes in a further attempt to get players forward.

But it was not to be and Sutton held on to take all three points.

Tranmere Rovers: Davies; Buxton, Ridehalgh, Sutton, McEveley; Hughes, Norburn; Harris (Mangan 73), Jennings, Dunn (Alabi 46); Cook. Subs not used: Pilling, McNulty, Waring.

Rovers' National League campaign continues tomorrow night with an away game against Guiseley (7:.45pm) and Eastleigh, also away, on Saturday (3pm).