TRANMERE Rovers' first home game of the new National League season ended with a 3-1 victory against Woking.

Goals from Andy Cook, Ollie Norburn and Jay McEveley took Micky Mellon's side to victory at Prenton Park on Tuesday night. The visitors scored through a Charlie Carter header.

The hosts got off to a positive start and just two minutes in, Connor Jennings had the opening effort on goal, curling a shot from 25 yards which was well saved by Woking custodian Nathan Baxter.

On 17 minutes, Jeff Hughes found Jack Dunn with an excellent diagonal ball and the former Liverpool forward raced on goal only for full-back Nathan Ralph to make a timely intercepting tackle to deny him a shooting opportunity.

But with the next attack came the first goal of the game and Andy Cook was the quickest to attack a bouncing ball inside the penalty area, before coolly going past the goalkeeper and sliding the ball into the net.

The next meaningful opportunity produced the second goal with summer signing Ollie Norburn getting his first Tranmere goal.

The midfielder picked up the ball just outside the penalty area and unleashed a powerful low driven shot which Baxter could only fingertip onto the inside of the post before the ball nestled in his goal.

Cook was looking for more goals and had a shot on the turn which went well wide before Woking pulled a goal back shortly before half time.

Charlie Carter rose above everyone to nod the ball into the bottom corner past Scott Davies to give the visitors hope going in at the break 2-1 down.

Soon after the restart, a ball forward found Dunn racing in on goal before he was brought to the floor by Josh Staunton.

The referee blew for the foul and awarded a yellow card to the Woking centre back.

Cook was at the heart of the attacking threat for Rovers and had a header saved by Baxter before the young Woking shot-stopper did brilliantly to dive at the striker's feet and win the ball as the former Barrow man was looking likely to score.

The third Rovers goal came on 62 minutes courtesy of a Jay McEveley header.

Dunn's corner from the right was whipped in with great pace and the experienced defender sent a thunderous header past Baxter for his first goal in a Tranmere shirt.

Dunn then sent a header inches wide before he and Cook were withdrawn in place of James Alabi and Andy Mangan.

Alabi's first action was almost to get Rovers a fourth goal but he somehow stumbled when the ball came across to him in the six yard box, Woking scrambled it away and Jay Harris followed up with a driven effort which was deflected wide.

Mangan got to a deep cross from the left with five minutes remaining and his goalbound effort was cleared off the line as Rovers secured three points with three goals and sent the majority of the 4698 crowd home happy.

Rovers are on home turf again this Saturday, facing Sutton United (kick off 3pm).