NEWTON are through to the Carlsberg West Cheshire League's Pyke Cup semi-finals after an epic clash with Richmond Raith Rovers.

But the Frankby outfit had their work cut out before lowering the flag of a resilient Richmond, who led twice at 2-1 and 4-2 before capitulating 6-5.

An Ali Birmingham hat trick was supplemented by further efforts from Jonathan Parkinson and Ashton Clements, but it was Newton, who had Jackson Elllis (2), Paul Carney, Gerard King, Ryan Beigan and Leighton Smith in reply, who savoured the last laugh and now face Maghull in the last four.

Gerard Mullen, Marcus Stewart, John Hedges and Tom Foley anchored Maghull, who were Pyke Cup winners in both 2011 and 2012 to a 4-2 result against battling Marshalls, who hit back via Wade Maxwell and Nabeel Saleem.

Maghull's reserve side were left cursing their luck, after missing a 33rd minute penalty which came back to bite them in their Haworth and Gallagher Bowl quarter final clash with Vauxhall Motors Res.

Substitute Sean Mosccrop, Joe Brandon and Luke Fizgibbon found the net after the interval, as the Motormen clinched a 3-0 victory.

Saturday's Division One action saw Redgate Rovers bag a precious three points in their bid to progress to mid-table sanctuary, after they won 5-2 against Heswall and secured their fourth win of the season.

Jonathan Fell (2) was joined on the scoresheet by Craig Blackwell, Robbie McDonald and Ollie Gallagher.

Andy Kingan obliged with both goals for the visitors.

Basement club Mallaby gave a good account of themselves at Neston Nomads and deservedly took the lead soon after the break on 64 minutes when skipper Danny Murphy fired home from the spot when he was impeded after he had latched on to a through ball from Craig McNamara.

On 64 minutes, danger man, Luke Blondel, levelled the issue via a far post header, before a second from Blondel and a late Jamie Gardiner effort set the third placed hosts up for a 3-1 triumph.

In Division Two, Cheshire Lines' promotion bid went into reverse after they crashed to a 6-2 defeat at Rainhill Town Res, despite goals from Rob Midghall and Karl Brown.

Efforts from Henry Newnes (3), Liam Bott and Andrew Morris were enough as Town Res drew eight points clear of the relegation zone.

Second-placed South Liverpool Res moved to within three points of current leaders, Hale after Gerard Forde and Rob Murphy found the net in a hard-fought 2-1 win at Capenhurst Villa who had Ryan Nicol on the mark.

Burscough Dynamo pulled off a shock win at Division Three promotion contenders, Mersey Royal, who had Adam Smith on target but finished second best after losing 4-1 to replies from Henry Latimer, Chris Orritt, Ryan Dobney and Jay Pretten.

The result was Royal's fifth defeat of the season and left them trailing current pacesetters Page Celtic by six points.

Honours were shared after efforts from Redgate Rovers Res' Sam Delmonte, Shaun Pugh and Damien O'Brien were negated by replies from Neston Nomads Res' Cam Matthews (2) and Joe Foster.

Division Three minnows, Wirral SB were far from humbled in their Wirral & District FA Senior Cup second round tussle with former West Cheshire members, Cammell Laird 1907 .

Jordan Edge and Adam Rassell-Watson netted for SB in Saturday's 4-2 defeat.

Josh Maldon (2), Kieran Hamm and Joe Malkin were Laird's marksmen.