OXTON Parkonians 1st XV gained momentum on Saturday as they brushed past Christleton.

Fortunately, it was a much drier affair this week as a much changed Parkonians squad travelled down the M53 towards Chester.

They were thankfully able to welcome the return of skipper Liam Evans as well as Alan Hughes and Alejandro Londono from the injury list.

The opening phases of the game started fairly evenly, both sides sharing possession equally with the ball being kept mainly amongst the forwards.

The deadlock broke through the backs though as in the eleventh minute, full-back Jack Fletcher was able to squeeze through for the visitors and gain his first score of the afternoon.

Not 10 minutes later, Fletcher was over the whitewash again, this time assisted by a brilliant break from the midfield by Liam Evans.

The hosts barely had time to recuperate as just four minutes later, Andy Smith sidestepped a couple of tackles out wide to notch his first try of the afternoon.

Moments after the restart, Smith was in again for a brace as Parkonians impressively went 24-0 up in as many minutes.

Christleton finally responded and for the rest of the first period kept the ball in the Parkonians half.

After some clumsy defending and lack of discipline at the break down, the hosts were able to score a deserved try in the corner to end the first half 5-24.

Christleton began the second period the same as they ended the first forcing Parkonians into mistakes.

A penalty inside the visitors 22 cost them seven points as the hosts scored their second try of the afternoon.

The following 15 minutes saw Christleton push hard and they set up camp in the half of Parkonians, winning countless numbers of penalties in the process.

Not long after the hour mark, Christleton looked to cross over for another try but Gareth Taylor was able to come away with the ball, carrying for over twenty metres before offloading to the grateful Andy Smith who ran the length of the pitch to complete a fine hat-trick.

Into the closing stages and with Christleton still trying to get something out of the game, Parkonians were able to break with winger Danny Gilfoyle able to touch down in the corner after a beautiful long pass from Jay Barham.

The Holm Lane outfit weren't quite done yet as on the last play, Alan Hughes, whilst going for the line was able to superbly shovel the ball to Joe Coupe who crashed over, sealing a fantastic victory for the team.

Next week is the return visit of Prenton after Parkonians‘ opening fixture loss back in the first week of September.

This game is always a cracker so all locals are invited to attend the 2.15pm kick off.