RUGBY EXTRA: Wirral winners

Wirral drive forwards against AK. Picture: Mike Gibbens

Wirral drive forwards against AK. Picture: Mike Gibbens

First published in Sport

WIRRAL maintained their unbeaten run with a comprehensive victory over relegation threatened Altrincham Kersal, although in the first half the home side played with enthusiasm and vigour as they competed against a wave of Wirral attacks, writes Richard McNeil.

Wirral took the lead after nine minutes through Ali Baker, with the same player adding a second after 18 minutes.

In the next 20 minutes, AK playing with the wind strove to get onto the score sheet but the renowned Wirral defence held firm.

Matters were settled when on the stroke of half time, Paul Lewis touched down in the corner after concerted pressure from Wirral giving them a 0-17 half time lead.

In the second half AK had no answer to the continuous Wirral attacks and in the second half the away side scored seven further tries through, Ryan Stead, Chris Burrows, Dan Harvey, Chris Speed and Rob Pearl (2).

Craig Harvey converted seven of the tries with a number being converted from the touchline.

The pleasing aspect from their point of view is that once again their try line remained intact and has only conceded one try in the last five games.

Wirral maintain their six-point advantage at the top of the table from Birkenhead Park who had a good win against Wilmslow but they have a game in hand which they play next week against 3rd placed Widnes.

The league title will possibly be decided when Wirral play Birkenhead Park at the Memorial Ground on March 22 where there is sure to be a big crowd to watch this top of the table match.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree