CALDY found high riding Stourbridge too strong as they went down to their tenth reverse in National Two North League.

It finished 46-12 at Stourton Park but Caldy remain in a comfortable position just below mid table whilst Stourbridge maintain their promotion challenge in third place with just two defeats to date.

The home side impacted from the start to register two tries inside the first ten minutes.

Caldy did manage first-half touch downs via Stuart Cross and Craig Smithson plus one conversion but Stourbridge crossed another three times to make it 27-12 at the half way stage.

The Wirral side kept going well after the break without adding to their score but Stourbridge were able to take their try tally to eight whilst a red card for Derek Salisbury added to the Caldy disappointment.

Wirral and Birkenhead Park sit first and second in North One West after both won testing away matches.

There was a bonus point 27-15 success for Wirral at Broughton Park which gives them a three points advantage over their local rivals who came away 21-15 to the good from Leigh.

Park found themselves 12-0 down at Leigh after conceding early tries from a driving maul and a charged down kick but steady pressure just before the break brought a crucial touch down for Sam Chidley converted by Dave Hall.

Chidley was over again in the third quarter after he charged down a kick and won the race for the line.

Hall added the extras and then again converted when a driving maul from over twenty metres out culminated in a score for Stu Brown.

Leigh however were far from finished. They scored a penalty and then forced Park to show all their defensive know how to prevent another score which would have left the match result hinging on a conversion kick.

New Brighton took another step towards promotion from South Lancashire/Cheshire One but it was tense at lowly Tyldesley where it finished 10-8 to the Hartsfield outfit.

A couple of scores were just enough for the Blues but this was not one of their better displays in a highly successful season to date.

A try and a penalty earned Hoylake an 8-8 draw on the Isle of Man against Douglas.

Anselmians produced a powerful attacking display against visiting Winnington Park to record a 45-28 bonus point success in an enjoyable and open affair at Malone Field.

Wallasey remain without a win in Division Two. They kept their line intact at home to Isle of Man visitors Ramsey but the islanders won 6-3 thanks to a 2-1 kicking count.

Port Sunlight had to settle for a consolation converted touch down at Oswestry who ran out 29-7 winners.

Prenton whipped Liverpool University 46-0 in Division Three and it was also good for Ellesmere Port who sent bottom of the table Helsby packing 46-3.

Oldershaw and Oxton Parkonians did not play.

Caldy look to have another winning opportunity at home to Otley in National Two North this Saturday.

The Yorkshire side is two places below them in the table with mixed form to date.

Their latest outing last weekend saw a 12-48 home defeat at the hands of Birmingham and Solihull.

Most of the local clubs have a league free Saturday but re-arranged games include Oldershaw against Helsby at Belvidere and Prenton against Congleton at Prenton Dell Road in South Lancashire/Cheshire Three.

The Cheshire Cup semi-final between Caldy and Wirral called off at the end of December has been re-arranged for February 22nd at Paton Field with a 2pm kick-off.