Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Melting candle led to fire at Wirral house
A MELTING candle is believed to have caused a fire at a house in Wallasey this morning.
Firemen were called to an address in Percy Road at 7.10am.
Investigations revealed the candle had melted onto an electric heater in a hallway of a first-floor flat.
The flat was badly damaged by smoke.
Watch manager Ray Olsen, from Wallasey Fire Statio,n said: "This was an accidental fire but we gave advice to the occupier candles should never be placed on electrical heaters.
"Candles also should never be left unattended and as there were no working smoke alarms in this property, the result could have been much worse.
"We advise people have a working smoke alarm on each level of their property and that they test them each week by pressing the test button on the alarm.
"Smoke alarms give the vital seconds you need to escape a fire."