Investigation underway after live cables from damaged lamp-post give passerby an electric shock (From Wirral Globe)
Send us news by text, start your message Globe News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Investigation underway after live cables from damaged lamp-post give passerby an electric shock
AN INVESTIGATION is underway after a Wirral woman received an electric shock from a broken lamp-post.
Wirral Council has asked its highways maintenance contractor Colas to conduct an inquiry after it had carried out work intended to make the column safe last Tuesday.
The authority is also asking the victim to contact them to help the investigation.
It is understood the lamp-post in Birkenhead had become damaged after being struck by a vehicle and Colas attended the scene to isolate the power supply and make the column safe.
But some time later a passerby, a local woman understood to be in her 50s, came into contact with cables from the post and received an electric shock.
She attended Arrowe Park Hospital for checks.
A woman from a nearby shop who helped the victim after the incident said: "She came in here afterwards and had a burn on her hand. It was raining at the time and we were told the wire was sizzling by that point."
In a statement, Wirral Council said: “We were informed via a third-party that someone had been hurt as a result of apparently coming into contact with a live cable from a damaged lighting column on Highgreen Road, Birkenhead.
“We are extremely concerned about this and have asked our contractors, Colas, to conduct an investigation into the work they carried out on this lighting column.
“We have also asked our own health and safety team to look into the incident.
“It would assist us greatly if the person who was hurt could contact us and tell us directly what happened.”
A Colas spokesman said: “We have been made aware of the incident and an investigation is being carried out.
“The relevant authorities have been informed accordingly but we are unable to give any more details.”
A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said he was unable to provide any further information as "the incident has not been reported."
Comments are closed on this article.