Wirral Euro MP slams plan to sell cigarettes in plain packs

Wirral Globe: UKIP MEP slams plans to sell cigarettes in plain packs UKIP MEP slams plans to sell cigarettes in plain packs

PLANS for cigarettes to be sold in plain packets have been slammed by a North West MEP.

Paul Nuttall, UKIP deputy leader, believes the idea would not deter people from smoking and could lead to the number of counterfeit cigarettes increasing.

He also thinks that new laws stopping shops from having tobacco on display will do little to reduce the number of teenagers taking up the habit.

Mr Nuttall's comments come as a public consultation on plain packaging starts this week.

Health secretary Andrew Lansley said he would be keeping an "open mind" on the issue of stripping cigarette packets of branding.

Mr Nuttall said: "If those behind the idea think it will deter smokers they need to think again.

"In fact research shows that ironically it is more likely to lead to more tobacco consumption.

"A report by consultancy London Economics following an online poll of 3,000 UK residents shows that removing brand imagery leads consumers to shift their preferences away from premium brands towards cheaper alternatives.

"This in turn would make cigarettes more affordable and consumption would rise.

"It is also feared that plain packaging will be easier to counterfeit and the black market will increase.

"Instead of trying to deter youngsters from taking up the habit by changing packaging it would be better to concentrate on education.

"And I do not think that the ban on displaying tobacco products in large stores will prevent under-age smoking either.

"Hiding cigarettes behind a cabinet where the display is revealed only when a customer makes a purchase runs the risk of driving up teenage demand.

"I worry where this nanny state will end. How long will it be before alcohol or even sugary foods, such as cake and chocolate, are also placed in closed cabinets?"

Health campaigners have welcomed the proposals and a recent opinion poll also found strong support.

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:08pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Wirralrob says...

The only thing that should be slammed is one of the new metal ciggy cabinet roller shutters ....onto Paul Nuttall's hands.

Next Week: Paul Nuttall on campaigns to make Black Forest Gateaux a Class 'A' drug.
The only thing that should be slammed is one of the new metal ciggy cabinet roller shutters ....onto Paul Nuttall's hands. Next Week: Paul Nuttall on campaigns to make Black Forest Gateaux a Class 'A' drug. Wirralrob

5:38pm Mon 16 Apr 12

chas says...

Plain packaging and putting cigarettes out of sight is meant to stop children taking up smokine, but children get their first cigarettes from their friends and not from shops.
In any case it is illegal for shops to sell tobacco products to anybody under the age of 18 so what's the point.
Plain packaging and putting cigarettes out of sight is meant to stop children taking up smokine, but children get their first cigarettes from their friends and not from shops. In any case it is illegal for shops to sell tobacco products to anybody under the age of 18 so what's the point. chas

6:58pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Ben Beaconsfield says...

So this is how political debate works in Wirral then:

a. Government floats a proposal.

b. Euro MP cites some independent research which suggests the government proposal might have an alternative effect to that intended.

c. Wirral 'pundit' calls for metal shutters to be slammed onto Euro MP's hands.

Amazing....
So this is how political debate works in Wirral then: a. Government floats a proposal. b. Euro MP cites some independent research which suggests the government proposal might have an alternative effect to that intended. c. Wirral 'pundit' calls for metal shutters to be slammed onto Euro MP's hands. Amazing.... Ben Beaconsfield

7:24pm Mon 16 Apr 12

barfly72 says...

I work in a supermarket that sells cigs. I also have two boys. Trust me. The ban and suggested plain boxes will do NOTHING to deter "kids" from starting smoking. They do not get them from shops, but from mates and effectively banning them (more or less) will make them more attractive. Trust me. Our shop sales were up the first week they were hidden.
I work in a supermarket that sells cigs. I also have two boys. Trust me. The ban and suggested plain boxes will do NOTHING to deter "kids" from starting smoking. They do not get them from shops, but from mates and effectively banning them (more or less) will make them more attractive. Trust me. Our shop sales were up the first week they were hidden. barfly72

8:30pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Jayo says...

Counterfeiting increases because of the Tax on them not because they are hidden in plain packets.
Its the same with alcohol and car fuel.
The more you tax it and put it beyond the finances of the ordinary public the more the "Black Market" thrives.
Counterfeiting increases because of the Tax on them not because they are hidden in plain packets. Its the same with alcohol and car fuel. The more you tax it and put it beyond the finances of the ordinary public the more the "Black Market" thrives. Jayo

12:48am Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

Andrew Lansley has made clear this is nothing to do with Anyone smoking and everything to do with putting tobacco companies out of business.
...
Somewhere along the line their incestuous tax relationship soured and it's all out war.
...
Smokers are just collateral damage.
...
If nothing else it'll be interesting to see just how many civil liberties WE actually have left...and just how far the law had to go in screwing us all over... when the dust finally settles.
...
Oh and the "obese"...you know those people who are fat because government guidelines say they are ? Yeah....they're next up. It's already under discussion ...and out there in mainstream propaganda/media...j
ust how well the smoking agenda is supposedly going so it's full steam ahead now onto the rest of society's "undesirables".
...
Anyone wanna add to the butty order ??
Andrew Lansley has made clear this is nothing to do with Anyone smoking and everything to do with putting tobacco companies out of business. ... Somewhere along the line their incestuous tax relationship soured and it's all out war. ... Smokers are just collateral damage. ... If nothing else it'll be interesting to see just how many civil liberties WE actually have left...and just how far the law had to go in screwing us all over... when the dust finally settles. ... Oh and the "obese"...you know those people who are fat because government guidelines say they are ? Yeah....they're next up. It's already under discussion ...and out there in mainstream propaganda/media...j ust how well the smoking agenda is supposedly going so it's full steam ahead now onto the rest of society's "undesirables". ... Anyone wanna add to the butty order ?? Spiffy

12:49am Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

Oh bugger....why do carriage returns keep randomly appearing in my posts ? Glitchy forum ? I'm not doing it...
Oh bugger....why do carriage returns keep randomly appearing in my posts ? Glitchy forum ? I'm not doing it... Spiffy

7:31am Tue 17 Apr 12

Ben Beaconsfield says...

I thought they were a sign of your creative style, Spiffy...

... ;-)
I thought they were a sign of your creative style, Spiffy... ... ;-) Ben Beaconsfield

10:02am Tue 17 Apr 12

David Scott says...

An excellent way to increase the mystique of cigarettes for children.
An excellent way to increase the mystique of cigarettes for children. David Scott

10:38am Tue 17 Apr 12

davr0s says...

Ellipses, Spiffy...
Ellipses, Spiffy... davr0s

12:08pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Mr Bollo says...

From my own experience I would say that the packaging of cigarettes definitely had an influence on me when I started smoking. It was all part of the mystique that they had, and it made me want to try out different brands to see how they compared.

Smoking appeared to be cool and the branding/packaging of different cigarettes tapped into that whole image and helped you define what kind of smoker you were.

As you grow up, you see through all the marketing BS but children and young adults are very susceptible to the influence of the ad man (as well as peer pressure), and I don't think this should be underestimated.

This is simply the next step on a long road of changing the way cigarettes are branded and sold -remember they were once actually advertised as being good for you.

As for civil liberties, the government is not proposing a ban on cigarettes, so this argument is a complete red herring. There are far more serious threats to civil liberties on the horizon in the uk than this...

Once again this odious man tries to whip up a storm in a tea cup in a miserable attempt to gain some publicity for his sideshow party. What a buffoon.
From my own experience I would say that the packaging of cigarettes definitely had an influence on me when I started smoking. It was all part of the mystique that they had, and it made me want to try out different brands to see how they compared. Smoking appeared to be cool and the branding/packaging of different cigarettes tapped into that whole image and helped you define what kind of smoker you were. As you grow up, you see through all the marketing BS but children and young adults are very susceptible to the influence of the ad man (as well as peer pressure), and I don't think this should be underestimated. This is simply the next step on a long road of changing the way cigarettes are branded and sold -remember they were once actually advertised as being good for you. As for civil liberties, the government is not proposing a ban on cigarettes, so this argument is a complete red herring. There are far more serious threats to civil liberties on the horizon in the uk than this... Once again this odious man tries to whip up a storm in a tea cup in a miserable attempt to gain some publicity for his sideshow party. What a buffoon. Mr Bollo

12:43pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

davr0s wrote:
Ellipses, Spiffy...
Ben/Davr0s - Hehe.. I do get those ellipse thingys when I repeat/miss out words but this carriage return thing is not me, I swear !
...
Mr Bollo said "As for civil liberties, the government is not proposing a ban on cigarettes, so this argument is a complete red herring. "
...
There's no need for a ban when you can persuade the population to happily turn on each other so your arguement is spurious. What "far more serious threats" are you talking about ? The most serious are the ones we are supposed to barely notice or practically beg for ourselves.
...
When the command comes down against you and your legal activities I hope you are prepared to drop your pants, bend over and grab your ankles...since you seem to expect others to.
[quote][p][bold]davr0s[/bold] wrote: Ellipses, Spiffy...[/p][/quote]Ben/Davr0s - Hehe.. I do get those ellipse thingys when I repeat/miss out words but this carriage return thing is not me, I swear ! ... Mr Bollo said "As for civil liberties, the government is not proposing a ban on cigarettes, so this argument is a complete red herring. " ... There's no need for a ban when you can persuade the population to happily turn on each other so your arguement is spurious. What "far more serious threats" are you talking about ? The most serious are the ones we are supposed to barely notice or practically beg for ourselves. ... When the command comes down against you and your legal activities I hope you are prepared to drop your pants, bend over and grab your ankles...since you seem to expect others to. Spiffy

1:24pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Mr Bollo says...

"There's no need for a ban when you can persuade the population to happily turn on each other so your arguement is spurious."

What? I don't see the population turning on each other over cigarette advertising. What are you talking about? There is wholesale public support for this move...

http://info.cancerre
searchuk.org/news/ar
chive/pressrelease/2
010-25-07-public-sup
port-to-remove-cigar
ette-vending-machine
s

"What "far more serious threats" are you talking about ?"

That would be telling...read the quality papers and work it out for yourself. It certainly isn't putting fags under the counter.

"..or practically beg for ourselves." What does this even mean? Incoherent rambling.

"When the command comes down against you and your legal activities I hope you are prepared to drop your pants, bend over and grab your ankles...since you seem to expect others to."

To reiterate, the goverment is not proposing to making cigarettes illegal. More of the usual paranoid nonsense.
"There's no need for a ban when you can persuade the population to happily turn on each other so your arguement is spurious." What? I don't see the population turning on each other over cigarette advertising. What are you talking about? There is wholesale public support for this move... http://info.cancerre searchuk.org/news/ar chive/pressrelease/2 010-25-07-public-sup port-to-remove-cigar ette-vending-machine s "What "far more serious threats" are you talking about ?" That would be telling...read the quality papers and work it out for yourself. It certainly isn't putting fags under the counter. "..or practically beg for ourselves." What does this even mean? Incoherent rambling. "When the command comes down against you and your legal activities I hope you are prepared to drop your pants, bend over and grab your ankles...since you seem to expect others to." To reiterate, the goverment is not proposing to making cigarettes illegal. More of the usual paranoid nonsense. Mr Bollo

1:36pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

Oh dear Bollo I had you down as someone who could enter into a half-decent intelligent debate. Since you can't and can only manage to repeat propaganda from the government and throw around a few sneering remarks I was wrong.
...
Duly noted :)
Oh dear Bollo I had you down as someone who could enter into a half-decent intelligent debate. Since you can't and can only manage to repeat propaganda from the government and throw around a few sneering remarks I was wrong. ... Duly noted :) Spiffy

1:38pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

Oh...just as a point of interest...."I don't see the population turning on each other over cigarette advertising. "
...
You just did. You're playing The Game. Bravo Citizen ;)
Oh...just as a point of interest...."I don't see the population turning on each other over cigarette advertising. " ... You just did. You're playing The Game. Bravo Citizen ;) Spiffy

2:16pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Mr Bollo says...

You call this turning on each other? Really??? I thought it was just a discussion on an internet forum. It's not exactly the Bosnian war is it? Talk about melodramatic (not to mention slightly smug)

You still haven't explained how this proposal constitutes some kind of an infringement of civil liberties.

As for playing the game.. I bet you think 9/11 was a conspiracy, don't you? Hope you've got your tin foil hat on...
You call this turning on each other? Really??? I thought it was just a discussion on an internet forum. It's not exactly the Bosnian war is it? Talk about melodramatic (not to mention slightly smug) You still haven't explained how this proposal constitutes some kind of an infringement of civil liberties. As for playing the game.. I bet you think 9/11 was a conspiracy, don't you? Hope you've got your tin foil hat on... Mr Bollo

2:34pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

How delightful...more sneering insult and a rather bizarre demand...hmmm ok..
...
Where...precisely...
did you ask me to explain Anything ? More to the point..what makes you think I will given your obvious disinterest in discussion and preference for ridiculous insult ?
...
I don't play The Game..you should know that by now.
...
Losing interest in 3....2....1...
How delightful...more sneering insult and a rather bizarre demand...hmmm ok.. ... Where...precisely... did you ask me to explain Anything ? More to the point..what makes you think I will given your obvious disinterest in discussion and preference for ridiculous insult ? ... I don't play The Game..you should know that by now. ... Losing interest in 3....2....1... Spiffy

3:13pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Mr Bollo says...

To keep things nice and simple for you, you said this;

'If nothing else it'll be interesting to see just how many civil liberties WE actually have left...'

Then I said this;

'As for civil liberties, the government is not proposing a ban on cigarettes, so this argument is a complete red herring.'

To which you repied;

'There's no need for a ban when you can persuade the population to happily turn on each other so your arguement is spurious.'

You made a point about civil liberties which I refuted. You claimed my argument was spurious. Now you are suggesting it is bizarre for me to ask you to justify your original claim that this is some kind of civil liberties issue???

What is The Game that you don't play btw? Is is pass the parcel, because it's definitely not mastermind.
To keep things nice and simple for you, you said this; 'If nothing else it'll be interesting to see just how many civil liberties WE actually have left...' Then I said this; 'As for civil liberties, the government is not proposing a ban on cigarettes, so this argument is a complete red herring.' To which you repied; 'There's no need for a ban when you can persuade the population to happily turn on each other so your arguement is spurious.' You made a point about civil liberties which I refuted. You claimed my argument was spurious. Now you are suggesting it is bizarre for me to ask you to justify your original claim that this is some kind of civil liberties issue??? What is The Game that you don't play btw? Is is pass the parcel, because it's definitely not mastermind. Mr Bollo

4:45pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

Bollo... You seem to have missed the bit where your insults negate your assumed entitlement to any response from me and...funnily enough...where I lost interest in you. Maybe I was too subtle.
...
Anyhoo...zilch...zip
...nada. It's all gone. Not even a smidge is left. Sorry 'bout that. After you went to so much effort too. :(
Bollo... You seem to have missed the bit where your insults negate your assumed entitlement to any response from me and...funnily enough...where I lost interest in you. Maybe I was too subtle. ... Anyhoo...zilch...zip ...nada. It's all gone. Not even a smidge is left. Sorry 'bout that. After you went to so much effort too. :( Spiffy

5:48pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Mr Bollo says...

So you can't back up your original statement then? Thought not.
So you can't back up your original statement then? Thought not. Mr Bollo

6:52pm Tue 17 Apr 12

ArdalMcFardle says...

If big tobacco says brand design has no effect then why do they spend so much money on it. Oh wait... because it works, just like advertising works. B*ll*cks to them
If big tobacco says brand design has no effect then why do they spend so much money on it. Oh wait... because it works, just like advertising works. B*ll*cks to them ArdalMcFardle

8:31pm Tue 17 Apr 12

bickyboy says...

Some of the wittiest and most attractive TV adverts of the past few decades have been for smoking products. I'm thinking particularly of the guy who strikes a match on the bald mans head when his wig comes off, and Gregor Fisher in the photo booth who spends ages sorting out his combover then drops out of sight just before the flash...Hamlet...and now we're being deprived not only of the adverts but the nice colourful packaging as well.
Don't for one minute believe that this is about public health, because if it was they'd be hiding the alcohol products also. Last time I looked the beer, cider, wine and whisky was still on the shelves and looking as enticing as ever.

So much hypocrisy going on here.
Some of the wittiest and most attractive TV adverts of the past few decades have been for smoking products. I'm thinking particularly of the guy who strikes a match on the bald mans head when his wig comes off, and Gregor Fisher in the photo booth who spends ages sorting out his combover then drops out of sight just before the flash...Hamlet...and now we're being deprived not only of the adverts but the nice colourful packaging as well. Don't for one minute believe that this is about public health, because if it was they'd be hiding the alcohol products also. Last time I looked the beer, cider, wine and whisky was still on the shelves and looking as enticing as ever. So much hypocrisy going on here. bickyboy

9:01pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

Mr Bollo wrote:
So you can't back up your original statement then? Thought not.
Oh of course I can, silly...I just don't feel any particular need to...not to you. Are you always this persistent when you've been blown out ? Dear oh dear...take the hint.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bollo[/bold] wrote: So you can't back up your original statement then? Thought not.[/p][/quote]Oh of course I can, silly...I just don't feel any particular need to...not to you. Are you always this persistent when you've been blown out ? Dear oh dear...take the hint. Spiffy

9:21pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

bickyboy wrote:
Some of the wittiest and most attractive TV adverts of the past few decades have been for smoking products. I'm thinking particularly of the guy who strikes a match on the bald mans head when his wig comes off, and Gregor Fisher in the photo booth who spends ages sorting out his combover then drops out of sight just before the flash...Hamlet...and now we're being deprived not only of the adverts but the nice colourful packaging as well.
Don't for one minute believe that this is about public health, because if it was they'd be hiding the alcohol products also. Last time I looked the beer, cider, wine and whisky was still on the shelves and looking as enticing as ever.

So much hypocrisy going on here.
Showin yer age now Bicky I remember them too. The humour in them was inspired.
...
Oddly enough though they never inspired me (as a child or adult) to smoke a cigar so not sure where the logic is that anything actually persuades anyone to do Anything beyond their own impulses.
...
"You can lead a horse to water" and all that. Does The government honestly believe that all children are weak and must be strictly governed by only them ? Wonder where that will lead... O.o
[quote][p][bold]bickyboy[/bold] wrote: Some of the wittiest and most attractive TV adverts of the past few decades have been for smoking products. I'm thinking particularly of the guy who strikes a match on the bald mans head when his wig comes off, and Gregor Fisher in the photo booth who spends ages sorting out his combover then drops out of sight just before the flash...Hamlet...and now we're being deprived not only of the adverts but the nice colourful packaging as well. Don't for one minute believe that this is about public health, because if it was they'd be hiding the alcohol products also. Last time I looked the beer, cider, wine and whisky was still on the shelves and looking as enticing as ever. So much hypocrisy going on here.[/p][/quote]Showin yer age now Bicky I remember them too. The humour in them was inspired. ... Oddly enough though they never inspired me (as a child or adult) to smoke a cigar so not sure where the logic is that anything actually persuades anyone to do Anything beyond their own impulses. ... "You can lead a horse to water" and all that. Does The government honestly believe that all children are weak and must be strictly governed by only them ? Wonder where that will lead... O.o Spiffy

9:47pm Tue 17 Apr 12

bickyboy says...

Spiffy wrote:
bickyboy wrote:
Some of the wittiest and most attractive TV adverts of the past few decades have been for smoking products. I'm thinking particularly of the guy who strikes a match on the bald mans head when his wig comes off, and Gregor Fisher in the photo booth who spends ages sorting out his combover then drops out of sight just before the flash...Hamlet...and now we're being deprived not only of the adverts but the nice colourful packaging as well.
Don't for one minute believe that this is about public health, because if it was they'd be hiding the alcohol products also. Last time I looked the beer, cider, wine and whisky was still on the shelves and looking as enticing as ever.

So much hypocrisy going on here.
Showin yer age now Bicky I remember them too. The humour in them was inspired.
...
Oddly enough though they never inspired me (as a child or adult) to smoke a cigar so not sure where the logic is that anything actually persuades anyone to do Anything beyond their own impulses.
...
"You can lead a horse to water" and all that. Does The government honestly believe that all children are weak and must be strictly governed by only them ? Wonder where that will lead... O.o
They never made me buy a cigar either, but like you, I can still appreciate them as works of advertising art, Spiffy.

I find today's TV advertising, as glitzy and expensive as much of it is, far too insipid and humourless to interest me in doing anything but turning down the sound and looking the other way till the commercial break is over.

I suppose advertising only works if theres already a "seed of need" in those who are subjected to it.
[quote][p][bold]Spiffy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bickyboy[/bold] wrote: Some of the wittiest and most attractive TV adverts of the past few decades have been for smoking products. I'm thinking particularly of the guy who strikes a match on the bald mans head when his wig comes off, and Gregor Fisher in the photo booth who spends ages sorting out his combover then drops out of sight just before the flash...Hamlet...and now we're being deprived not only of the adverts but the nice colourful packaging as well. Don't for one minute believe that this is about public health, because if it was they'd be hiding the alcohol products also. Last time I looked the beer, cider, wine and whisky was still on the shelves and looking as enticing as ever. So much hypocrisy going on here.[/p][/quote]Showin yer age now Bicky I remember them too. The humour in them was inspired. ... Oddly enough though they never inspired me (as a child or adult) to smoke a cigar so not sure where the logic is that anything actually persuades anyone to do Anything beyond their own impulses. ... "You can lead a horse to water" and all that. Does The government honestly believe that all children are weak and must be strictly governed by only them ? Wonder where that will lead... O.o[/p][/quote]They never made me buy a cigar either, but like you, I can still appreciate them as works of advertising art, Spiffy. I find today's TV advertising, as glitzy and expensive as much of it is, far too insipid and humourless to interest me in doing anything but turning down the sound and looking the other way till the commercial break is over. I suppose advertising only works if theres already a "seed of need" in those who are subjected to it. bickyboy

9:17am Wed 18 Apr 12

No.9 says...

I don't think the tobacco companies are really too bothered. Initially it's a nuisance to have to revamp their packaging for the UK market but they'll save a fortune on point of sale. Their tobacco will still be sold here by fair means or foul as initially it will disrupt the black marketeers until they can stock up on the plain packaged versions. I'd be interested to see the new packaging, if it's just a plain white box or something similar I can see a trend emerging for printed stickers and packet sleeves which may encourage children to start smoking.
I don't think the tobacco companies are really too bothered. Initially it's a nuisance to have to revamp their packaging for the UK market but they'll save a fortune on point of sale. Their tobacco will still be sold here by fair means or foul as initially it will disrupt the black marketeers until they can stock up on the plain packaged versions. I'd be interested to see the new packaging, if it's just a plain white box or something similar I can see a trend emerging for printed stickers and packet sleeves which may encourage children to start smoking. No.9

9:34am Wed 18 Apr 12

Mr Bollo says...

Spiffy wrote:
Mr Bollo wrote:
So you can't back up your original statement then? Thought not.
Oh of course I can, silly...I just don't feel any particular need to...not to you. Are you always this persistent when you've been blown out ? Dear oh dear...take the hint.
For someone who allegedly lost interest several posts ago, I think it's you who is remarkably persistent. Yes, of course you can back up what said, but you won't because I supposedly insulted you...yeah right. Blown out? Mmmm ok Spiffy, whatever you say.
[quote][p][bold]Spiffy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Bollo[/bold] wrote: So you can't back up your original statement then? Thought not.[/p][/quote]Oh of course I can, silly...I just don't feel any particular need to...not to you. Are you always this persistent when you've been blown out ? Dear oh dear...take the hint.[/p][/quote]For someone who allegedly lost interest several posts ago, I think it's you who is remarkably persistent. Yes, of course you can back up what said, but you won't because I supposedly insulted you...yeah right. Blown out? Mmmm ok Spiffy, whatever you say. Mr Bollo

1:04pm Wed 18 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

Good grief Bollo...Me responding to you in any way, shape or form does not imply or prove "interest" in you at all so you can save the "short skirt defence" it doesn't justify your behaviour.
...
Let it go.
Good grief Bollo...Me responding to you in any way, shape or form does not imply or prove "interest" in you at all so you can save the "short skirt defence" it doesn't justify your behaviour. ... Let it go. Spiffy

6:45pm Wed 18 Apr 12

Mr Bollo says...

So you always feel obliged to comment on things you have no interest in, do you? How very odd.

And why are you dribbling on about a 'short skirt defence'? Are you in some way comparing my comments to some kind of sexual assault???

I think you need to get help, you clearly have some serious issues to deal with.
So you always feel obliged to comment on things you have no interest in, do you? How very odd. And why are you dribbling on about a 'short skirt defence'? Are you in some way comparing my comments to some kind of sexual assault??? I think you need to get help, you clearly have some serious issues to deal with. Mr Bollo

8:40pm Wed 18 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

Wow. All this because I will not do what he wants. Interesting.
...
Take note, girls. ;)
Wow. All this because I will not do what he wants. Interesting. ... Take note, girls. ;) Spiffy

8:41pm Wed 18 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

To get this back on topic....if the comments directed at me show anything it's that if an ordinairy man will go so far to try and get his own way then what will Government do to stop people who still smoke ? Food for thought...
To get this back on topic....if the comments directed at me show anything it's that if an ordinairy man will go so far to try and get his own way then what will Government do to stop people who still smoke ? Food for thought... Spiffy

9:44pm Wed 18 Apr 12

Mr Bollo says...

Still going are you Spiffy? I'm doing this because it amuses me, and I'm intrigued as to how far you will go to have the last word... quite far, it would seem.

It has absolutely nothing to do with me wanting you to do what I want. You really are letting your paranoia get the better of you.

The problem with posting your views on an internet forum is that occassionally someone will challenge what you say. That is the nature of such forums.

Btw, I genuinely had no idea that you were female, not that it makes any difference. And i've given you no reason to assume that I am male either...Mr Bollo is simple a pseudonym.

Can I presume that if you are so in favour of the right of the individual to smoke tobacco then you would also extend this freedom to all other drugs? Or are you not really the true libertarian that you're anti-authoritarian comments would suggest?
Still going are you Spiffy? I'm doing this because it amuses me, and I'm intrigued as to how far you will go to have the last word... quite far, it would seem. It has absolutely nothing to do with me wanting you to do what I want. You really are letting your paranoia get the better of you. The problem with posting your views on an internet forum is that occassionally someone will challenge what you say. That is the nature of such forums. Btw, I genuinely had no idea that you were female, not that it makes any difference. And i've given you no reason to assume that I am male either...Mr Bollo is simple a pseudonym. Can I presume that if you are so in favour of the right of the individual to smoke tobacco then you would also extend this freedom to all other drugs? Or are you not really the true libertarian that you're anti-authoritarian comments would suggest? Mr Bollo

8:17am Thu 19 Apr 12

reliant22 says...

Oh for goodness sake Spiffy and Bollo!
Silly me. I thought the posts on this forum were meant to be all about the subject matter, not about personalities. If you can`t have a decent debate without nagging each other, go back in your cages!!
Oh for goodness sake Spiffy and Bollo! Silly me. I thought the posts on this forum were meant to be all about the subject matter, not about personalities. If you can`t have a decent debate without nagging each other, go back in your cages!! reliant22

9:06am Thu 19 Apr 12

mlhifi says...

Just like the minimum price-per-unit of alcohol, this is another ridiculous idea! Kids start smoking because their friends or parents smoke, it has nothing to do with packets on view! Honestly, this government has lost the plot, in many more ways than just this!
Just like the minimum price-per-unit of alcohol, this is another ridiculous idea! Kids start smoking because their friends or parents smoke, it has nothing to do with packets on view! Honestly, this government has lost the plot, in many more ways than just this! mlhifi

9:47am Thu 19 Apr 12

Spiffy says...

reliant22 wrote:
Oh for goodness sake Spiffy and Bollo!
Silly me. I thought the posts on this forum were meant to be all about the subject matter, not about personalities. If you can`t have a decent debate without nagging each other, go back in your cages!!
To quote you and respond..."Oh for goodness sake" reliant22...a common troll insults and sneers to dismiss genuine debate in an effort to provoke arguement because it amuses them. If I must make clear my disinterest now and again then so be it.
...
Just took a little time, that's all. Do note I am done with it yet it persists...ho hum *shrug*
...
Never mind eh, no one is forcing you, I or anyone else to read it....much less respond.
...
So ...what do YOU think about the plan to sell cigarettes in plain packs ??
[quote][p][bold]reliant22[/bold] wrote: Oh for goodness sake Spiffy and Bollo! Silly me. I thought the posts on this forum were meant to be all about the subject matter, not about personalities. If you can`t have a decent debate without nagging each other, go back in your cages!![/p][/quote]To quote you and respond..."Oh for goodness sake" reliant22...a common troll insults and sneers to dismiss genuine debate in an effort to provoke arguement because it amuses them. If I must make clear my disinterest now and again then so be it. ... Just took a little time, that's all. Do note I am done with it yet it persists...ho hum *shrug* ... Never mind eh, no one is forcing you, I or anyone else to read it....much less respond. ... So ...what do YOU think about the plan to sell cigarettes in plain packs ?? Spiffy

6:09pm Fri 20 Apr 12

PaulCa says...

In 1992 in the US courts, six corporate tobacco behemoths defending a lawsuit lined up on oath to attest that "cigarettes are not addictive", but the behaviour of every tax collecting agency and Chancellor of the Exchequer before and since indicates they certainly are.
In 1992 in the US courts, six corporate tobacco behemoths defending a lawsuit lined up on oath to attest that "cigarettes are not addictive", but the behaviour of every tax collecting agency and Chancellor of the Exchequer before and since indicates they certainly are. PaulCa

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree